Chapter 24: Price of Freedom

Media: https://pin.it/4FgWB2l
As the picture above suggests, this chapter may have language and physical violence in it (but not too graphic). It's up to you to read or not.

---

Hong Chun froze and felt a piercing pain on her back.

Akin to an animal being let go in the wild, her eyes unconsciously became fierce.

The stranger was surprised when she leaped away just in time before the blade could dig any deeper. But soon, he laughed.

He knew the way she dodged earlier was only an involuntary response to the pain she felt.

"Shhh, don't be afraid. This won't hurt at all."

It was obvious he was humoring her. The liquid she felt spreading on her back was proof of how much it hurt.

"Impudent!" An angry voice answered.

This voice was very familiar to Hong Chun.

Old Shang!

The old gatekeeper seemed to have drunken an elixir. He moved as fast as the stranger and met his blade with his own.

Clang! Hiss!

The clashing of two strips of metal meeting disturbed the earlier stillness.

Hong Chun was rooted on the spot.

Her eyes were still working fine, right? That was Old Shang, right? How come his movements didn't reflect his age at all?

The youth battling Old Shang was heaping curses after curses.

No one told him that there was an old dog guarding his prey!

And the old dog didn't look like he had rheumatism at all!

However, only Old Shang himself knew how strained he was.

Every move he made was excruciating. But he had to protect the eldest miss!

"Miss!"

He was alarmed when another man appeared and targeted Hong Chun without delay. However. the youth before him wouldn't let go of the old man easily.

He might be strong when he was young but his old bones couldn't keep up with the high-end techniques he knew.

This confirmed how rusty he was from wasting his time away in Hong fu all these years.

The man going after Hong Chun was silent as he wielded his dagger which proved he was focused on the task.

But she was also quick on her feet, sidestepping most of the swings coming her way.

What the fuck is this?

It looked like the man intended to capture her alive. Because if he planned to kill her, she wouldn't have the opportunity to escape by a hair's breadth every time.

The man also frowned. He thought he was abducting a pampered lady tonight. However, the girl wasn't too inexperienced with this.

Even though her steps weren't excellent, she could read his movements. Advancing and retreating accordingly.

But it was evident that she didn't know martial arts due to her lack of offense. She only wanted to avoid every strike.

Even if it was baffling, how could he let her go?

Soon, Hong Chun's clothes were torn and bloody. Her hair fell on her shoulders, untamed.

"Fuck! This is really irritating! Martial fucking arts!"