Chapter 48: Beat the Crap Out of You

The only sound that could be heard was the rush of the afternoon breeze.

When the emperor told Li Yun that the person he was looking for was here, the duke doubted him. After all, he searched every nook and cranny of Huo Ai for many years.

If someone told him she was outside of Huo Ai, he would just laugh. His sister showed no signs of talent in cultivation and only those with cultivation could pass the boundary. If she was kidnapped, her abductor might risk themselves to pass the border but they still wouldn't be able to take her along.

But standing here now, he didn't know what to do.

The person behind the wall of shadow guards had a flaming red hair that went down in curly locks down her back. Her amber eyes seemed to be glowing back at him.

He knew those two features couldn't be faked by anyone. Furthermore, her facial features resembled his.

"A'mei..." His voice trembled a little bit but after that, he carefully hid his emotions under his smile again.

He turned to the Emperor. "What his Majesty said was true."

Long Yi Ran was puzzled. By now, the duke should be performing some tests to see if the person was related to him. But he only stood there as if he was already sure. Wasn't he afraid Long Yi Ran showed him a fraud?

Meanwhile, Qiaoli who was behind a wall of shadow guards could see the person who was her brother.

She thought that the man was familiar so she lowered her lids to think about it. Soon, she also found the answer. That day when she was strolling the market with Mao Zhen, this person caught the crowd's attention.

Her brother... what could have happened if she somehow showed her face that day? Would he be able to recognize her? Even with spell hiding her prominent features?

How strong could familial love be? Did he search for her all these years?

But she was the reason their parents died. He must have hated her a lot. What was the use of searching for her?

On his side, the Duke noticed Yi Xiao Emperor's confusion and laughed. "Unlike you people, our Huang clan can recognize our kin at a glance. I'll recognize her even if she changed her hair color or if someone disfigured her."

Qiaoli lifted her chin as she heard that statement. It seemed her faulty system still had the use of being able to hear voices from this distance. The way he said it was cruel but he seemed to be speaking the truth, judging from how he glanced at her after saying that. 

Huang Li Yun yelled. "Stupid A'mei, what are you standing there for? Still waiting for da ge to drag you?"

Everyone at the scene was stunned. The Emperor and Empress looked at the Duke as if he grew another head. Where was the person that was desperately trying to find this person? Even the fifth prince didn't expect this twist. From what he knew, the Huang princess was spoiled rotten since birth. How come the first thing Huang Li Yun did upon seeing her was to scold?

But even if the Emperor was dumbfounded, he couldn't let the Duke take away his bargaining chip!

Long Yi Ran gave his order. "So it's true that Lady Huang is the Duke's sister. Since Duke Li has seen the person, the trade shall carry on. Keep her away!"

He wanted to gain the upper hand so he couldn't give Lady Huang unless the creatures at the border were killed. In other words, Qiaoli would be his hostage until the deal was over.

The shadow guards urged Lady Huang to step on the palanquin again but she seemed to be frozen stiff because of her brother. The shadow guard wanted to nudge her with the hilt of the sword but he didn't see the blooming smile on Lady Huang's lips or the glistening tear that refused to fall from her eyes.