Chapter 13: The Panther

Media: https://pin.it/uHSDdVk

---

That was right.

All of them somewhat knew who this lady from Hong jia would marry.

As there was only their Third Young Master who seemed to fit her stature.

Even if they were the capital's most successful merchants, in the end, they were only merchants.

Hong Shu Cao, on the other hand, was a respectable official. And his son, Hong Ting was also showing good prospects.

A few years from now, the Hong family might make a name for themselves in court.

But even so, they felt bitter as their San shaoye could have a better wife just based on his abilities.

What these cousins and aunts didn't know was even if their beloved third young master was so talented, it was still wiser to pick a wife that wasn't too high or too low in status.

The Old Madam was aware that their family didn't have a huge backing in court. So she put all her hopes on this third grandson, anticipating his bright future.

Marrying a daughter from the Hong family wouldn't make them look too ambitious. Therefore, her grandson's path wouldn't be blocked by the huge tigers in court.

Moreover, the lady's maternal family had scholars with good record. And the father was a humble first-generation official.

This was enough.

Currently though, the females of her family were ignorant of these considerations.

Also, our Hong Chun wasn't aware of their thoughts. Even if she was, she wouldn't quite care.

Things of the future were for the future.

When women gathered, it was inevitable to talk random things over tea.

The topics have changed multiple times that Hong Chun didn't bother to keep up.

She only answered when someone talked to her or asked her about something.

Until one of Mao Zhen's aunts said, "Time really flows as fleeting as the wind. Children all grow up and then get married."

The chubby woman kept playing with her teacup while speaking.

"Even my FanFan's already having her marriage talks! And it wasn't long since her pinning ceremony! It's always us mothers who get sentimental."

>A/N: 笄禮 - - Hair Pinning Ceremony - ritual for females at the age of 15 that symbolizes passage to adulthood. In reality, this was for nobles at that time but in this novel, rich merchants can also perform this rite<

The moment one mentioned the pinning ceremony, Hong Chun felt hot eyes on her.

It was because it had been years since her pinning ceremony and until now, she wasn't married.

This kind of talk on age, she knew she wouldn't escape it.

Who asked her to be married off at twenty instead of sixteen?

It seemed these would-be in-laws were unsatisfied of her old age.

"Speaking of ceremonies, weren't we there on A'Chun's hair pinning ceremony too?" One of the older cousins spoke.

"Ching still remembers that? I do recall the sweet music playing back then and how Yi-shi got teary-eyed."

"Aunt asks me if I remember when your memory's sharper than mine." The lady's tone was aggrieved.