Chapter 3: Hong Family

Media source: https://pin.it/gjkfptmogv53v3

---

The empire of Han had been influential among its neighbors since the beginning of Long Dynasty.

This autumn, the congregation of nations would occur in the imperial palace of Han. This gathering happened once every four years and was traditionally done ever since the Han Empire was established.

It was the time when all wars would cease for a few months and different rulers of independent and vassal states alike would gather to discuss the possibilities of stopping wars and forming ties. Trading routes, trade goods, territorial borders, and other governmental issues would also be part of the discussion.

This would be a closed-door meeting and security was at its finest during these times.

Some of the biggest nations though would only send representatives and not their Emperors or Kings.

Hong Chun learned that the congregation would occur two months from now so delegates had started pouring in Hanjing over the past few days.

"Father, does that mean you'll be busier more than ever?" Hong Chun's younger brother, Hong Ting asked.

He was two years younger than his sister but in this house, he was still called Xiao.

> - xiǎo - little/small/young, form of endearment<

"Actually..." Father Hong looked at Mother Hong.

Hong Shu Cao had skin the color of wheat as he came from a family of farmers and his countenance could be said to be handsome especially during his younger years.

Back then, his family sold everything they could just for young Father Hong to attend a good academy and pass the civil service exams.

Mother Hong had been his secret lover even when he was still a student.

Yi Bing came from a family of common scholars. They had a fair amount of wealth so they wouldn't look at the young student surnamed Hong unless he passed the civil service with high marks.

And so he did and their marriage was arranged. His score wasn't the highest but his hard work was respected by the Yi family.

From a peasant farmer, Father Hong was now a fifth-ranked official in the Department of Rites.

That was an achievement only those who really worked to the bones could achieve.

Twenty years of their marriage and there were still no concubines or secondary wives inside the Hong villa.

This was proof that not every man in this kind of period couldn't stay monogamous. Hong Chun knew that Hong Shu Cao was an exceptional and kind man.

"Actually what?" Hong Chun went ahead and asked.

It was Mother Hong who answered. "Your father is assigned to go to Mei Le province and oversee the construction of a temple there."

"Construction? But Father's from the Ministry of Rites." Hong Chun was confused.

The ministry was in charge of the state ceremonies, how come he would be sent to a faraway place to supervise the construction of some temple?

"A'Chun, this... The head minister is now looking for officials to be promoted. And this just might be his way of testing candidates. Also, I'll be there to be the person in charge of opening the temple to the public so it's not really the construction I'll look after. There's an official from the Public Works to do that."