Chapter 58: Headmaster

Father Hong unanimously became a trusted person among the peers of the headmaster of the Scholar's Guild, the former Grand Tutor, Fan Saiweng.

Because Hong Chun was gone, Hong Shu Cao didn't have to be low-key anymore. This was one of the good things that occurred after Hong Chun's death.

Headmaster Fan had long acknowledged Hong Shu Cao's competence but couldn't let him advance in rank because they had to hide the Hong daughter's identity. The former Grand Tutor could openly appreciate his abilities now. Even though Fan Saiweng still couldn't pull some strings for Father Hong's promotion as it was still the grieving period, everyone could see that it was only a matter of time.

Hong Ting, on the other hand, buried himself in his studies and Mother Hong had to resort to ask Mao Zhen to visit him in the academy every day just to send meals. Otherwise, the young man wouldn't eat at all.

Mao Zhen didn't complain that her late friend's brother made her wait by the academy's entrance every day. If it was before, she would just stomp her feet and go home.

Instead, she learned to be patient and considerate. She couldn't be like Hong Ting who only knew how to self-destruct. Who would help Aunt Bing if she too became a recluse?

Qiaoli only listened so Si Hai couldn't detect what she was thinking of. After the meal, she put her chopsticks down and looked at the fox with her incisive eyes.

"You tell me, did you observe them from afar or not?" The lady wouldn't know it but the way she stared at Si Hai was the same way a mad scientist would eye his experiment tied to the operating table.

The young fox felt goosebumps all over his body. He knew he wasn't required to impart his secret arts but something told him it was dangerous to lie to this blasted girl.

"Of course, I snuck my way in. How can I give you an accurate report if not?"

"En, it's the same technique you used to pretend to be Mao Zhu's guard?"

Si Hai remained tight-lipped but nodded.

Qiaoli sighed. "Aiy, it's not like I'll force you to say how. You always act like I'm bullying you."

She was saying that while her eyes were shooting fire. It was obvious she wanted to know.

How shameless! Si Hai thought.

But he still raised his hand to show her. "I know two types of disguising myself. One is to change my whole body like I what I did to achieve this current body of mine. The other..."

Qiaoli watched as the boy's fingers dissipate into mist down to his wrist. He let it materialize again after this demonstration.

"I can turn into a mist and occupy a whole person like what I did with the guard at the Mao residence." Si Hai explained further while the lady drummed her fingernails on the table.

"That's like a malevolent ghost possessing someone's body!" She commented.

The fox's eyebrow twitched. "Well... in a sense. But the person being possessed wouldn't know because their consciousness will be pushed at the back of their mind. The downside of this is I can't act largely against the host's will. Otherwise, they will notice that something invaded their body."

Qiaoli nodded while taking notes in a holographic panel that only she could see. Of course, she didn't use her hands. The screen only displayed what was on her mind.

"Are there other limitations for this technique?" Her expression was almost gentle, coaxing the fox to satisfy her curiosity.

Her knowledge of this world was proven inadequate time and again. The things she learned while growing up as Hong Chun and those she knew as the author of The Fate of Nuo Ying Su were just not enough. She was thirsty for more.