Chapter 4: Troubles and Goodbyes

Media source: https://pin.it/dvhk3s6lqcqo4z

---

In the dead of the night, at the district reserved for the foreign delegates, a mansion stood in splendor.

Inside was the Duke of First Rank from Huo Ai Empire, Duke Li.

The light from the lamp delicately caressed his soft features. His eyes were scanning the report from his people.

This duke was the son of a formidable pair of generals who were said to die at the hands of the nomadic tribes of the Northeast. Having lost both his parents at a young age, Li Yun Zao grew up in the military barracks.

As he became the man that he was now, he was deeply respected not just by his subjects in his duchy but also by the whole kingdom. This made him the perfect candidate to represent his nation in this year's congregation.

"There isn't any progress?" Duke Li frowned upon reading the report handed to him.

"None, your Grace. Our actions are being limited." A person clad in black stood in front of him.

Li Yun Zao sighed, a frown creasing his forehead. "It doesn't matter. Dig everything you can."

"Yes, your Grace!"

There was determination inside the duke's eyes. He'd been searching high and low for every moment of his life.

But he could only be discreet about it because it would be very dangerous for that person if many people knew.

Whether alive or dead, he promised to find that person.

All these years, he was slowly losing hope.

But today, he saw something that raised his spirits. It didn't matter if it was just an illusion. He'd still hang on the chance that the person he was looking for was here.

Duke Li closed his tired eyes.

He traveled for many days, coming from the cold northeast to this warm land.

But behind his lids was the image of a young lady with auburn hair, standing among the crowd.

Did she live well?

Was she safe?

The Duke curled his hands into fists.

Soon, he'd find her. Soon, she'd be home.

These thoughts were interrupted by another incoming report.

"Your Grace, there's news from the Fifth Prince."

This made the young duke flinch but he read the message nonetheless.

'How come?' was what he thought of.

Opening the scroll, a series of code characters were sprawled out.

But the duke gritted his teeth as he understood.

"This prince will accompany my brother in this arduous task."

Duke Li massaged the space between his brows.

This troublesome prince had nothing to do.

Why did the Imperial City let the prince set out?

If only one could curse his surname, he'd done it long ago.

It was already a handful being alone in this foreign land. What more if he had this notorious prince tagging along?

Other countries had long been wary of their Huo Ai because they seldom associated themselves with people of the South.