Chapter 26: Goddess' Herald

Media: https://pin.it/EPi9iv2
---

North of the capital of Great Han, the moonlight converged at one point, forming a figure in the middle of a forest clearing. It was as though the moon decided to grace the lands and personified itself.

The silver rays formed a human-like shape and soon, his person could be seen facing the round moon.

"It's been a while." The being said to no one in particular.

He was a beloved herald of the goddess. Cai Xie herself dearly named him Qin Yu. But ever since the four nations turned their backs on the goddess, he was rarely seen in these parts of the continent.

His name hadn't been spoken too.

After all, to the people of Great Han and the other nations, Cai Xie was nothing but a mythical existence.

There was a dreamy haze surrounding him and the whole forest sensed his presence. The branches of the trees which seemed to be so menacing just minutes ago turned gentle. Nocturnal animals celebrated his visit, singing a chorus of welcome amidst the lonely night.

Seemingly pleased, Qin Yu hummed along with them. "I'm glad you're all very well."

The voice carried a profound love for all creatures under the heavens. Those hearing it would feel their hearts swell with mercy and forgiveness. Such was the effect of being with this ancient spirit.

"I'm trying to find someone, can you help me?"

It was answered with different calls and hoots but he understood.

The ancient spirit, Qin Yu, raised a hand as though to capture the moon.

"It's time to fetch a person who doesn't belong here."

Moments later...

The forest creatures, big and small, were ahead and behind him, looking like a royal procession. Fireflies lit the way, nighttime raptors glided from above, and four-legged beasts escorted from the sides.

So many animals gathered but they were all very careful, behaving in a way that wouldn't bother the esteemed herald of the goddess. Every moment they spent with the herald was precious because he oozed spiritual power which would be beneficial to their kin. One of them might even become a spirit beast if they were lucky.

They led him to a cave near the top of a mountain.

"So this is it." Qin Yu petted a deer that drew close to him. When he lifted his hand from the deer, the animals lowered their heads.

"Thank you." The creatures felt an immense amount of reverence as though his words were perfectly conveyed to them. Afterward, they obediently withdrew and left him.

These animals were only driven by instincts. Someone as pure as the goddess' herald attracted them in a way that children would always follow their parents.

Qin Yu watched them go with gentle eyes.

Then, he entered the cave. It was dark but he easily resolved this by producing orbs of light from his hand and they floated around him like bigger versions of the fireflies from earlier.

Reaching a certain point, the path led to a larger part of the cavern. He was surprised to find a young fox disguised as a human near an unconscious lady. The energy surrounding the fox was corrupted so he concluded that he wasn't a creature of the light.

Upon sensing his presence, the young fox turned around in alarm.

It could be said that they were beings that belonged to opposite sides yet there was no doubt who was superior of the two.