Chapter 61: Missed Fate

"She... she..." Si Hai couldn't form a coherent sentence as he watched Qiaoli stroll away with the Captain in tow.

Yemin noticed that the little fox received a shock so he approached.

"What happened?"

"Don't tell me you don't know that man was her former fiancé?!" Si Hai blew his top. Why did this usually reliable attendant let Qiaoli walk away just like that?

Yemin frowned. "Our Marquise never had a fiancé. Whoever was that young Captain's fiancé, it wasn't our Marquise."

Si Hai slapped his forehead in frustration. Should they even care about technicalities now? Whether it was Hong Chun or Huang Qiaoli, they were the same person!

"Why are you even panicking?" The Duke's attendant asked.

"Because... because men and women should keep their distance!"

"Oh, and what about you? You're always by the Marquise's side." Yemin raised a brow at the fox.

"I'm different. Aside from the fact that I'm a child, I'm also special!" Si Hai replied in a dignified manner, hinting that he wasn't a man but a fox.

The attendant didn't want to hold this conversation anymore. "Whoever the Marquise wants to talk to, we'll only let her. And if that person dares to do something out of hand, then we'll have a reason to beat him up."

The fox was stumped by this logic. It was strangely correct...? He didn't even know.

On the other side, Qiaoli walked quite a distance from Mao Zhu's men and the others.

"What is it you want to say to me?" She asked the man behind her.

Qiaoli chose to go to the forest fringe. The land here wasn't covered by snow but the temperature was almost the same as winter time. The only sound that could be heard was the cicadas hiding from wherever they were. It was as if time was suspended to a standstill and the world would be the same for all eternity.

To her surprise, he replied. "Can you look at me?"

That sentence could mean the literal thing which was to turn around and look at him while talking. But Qiaoli realized that she had always spoke to him in a roundabout way and she never wanted to talk to him seriously.

She paused her steps and twirled to face him.

Ah, this was what she couldn't face. His earnest expression was too disconcerting.

"Will you ask for forgiveness again?" Her mouth spoke too soon but she didn't care.

"I..." Mao Zhu's head drooped. "I don't even know if I deserve it."

Then, he realized what she meant by 'again.' The last time he asked for forgiveness was because he was three years late and she almost became an old spinster. Then, the gift he gave her, the narcissus hairpin was a form of apology because he had started doubting her due to the Emperor's orders.

Now, he wanted to apologize for being unable to protect her. He was supposed to be her man but he couldn't stand up for her.

Qiaoli watched as the strong soldier almost crumble in front of her.

"Chun mei..." Tears formed in his eyes and he didn't know where to put his hands. He wanted to hug her but he didn't know the consequences if he did.

"Mao Zhu, don't waste your last chance of talking to m-." Qiaoli couldn't bear seeing him so useless so she was kind enough to remind him but before she could finish her sentence, she was engulfed by a warm chest.