001

𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟏 — 𝐫𝐞𝐝 𝐜𝐡𝐞𝐞𝐤 𝐰𝐢𝐭𝐡 𝐭𝐞𝐚𝐫𝐲 𝐞𝐲𝐞𝐬

The pale wood of the antique clock contrasted greatly with the stark verdant wallpaper. The weathered clock, mounted on the bare wall had not moved its frail hands even an inch since I last glanced at it. I swear by all things good it must've been at least twenty minutes ago.

I groaned softly, leaning back even further on the leather chair's lumpy and hard backrest as I peered about the room. There's a woman sitting behind an antique wooden desk at the far end of the rather large room. The only time she ever acknowledged my existence was when she asked me for my name. Even that seemed to irritate her.

How is it my fault that I got caught vandalising the school tonight? It's obviously Mr Folley's fault for being at school. I couldn't help but let out another long, exasperated sigh. The silence has done an outstanding job of suffocating me. I truly can't imagine a worse scenario than this.

I lean my head back against the wall and let my eyes fall shut. I didn't sleep at all last night because a) Jasper makes it fucking impossible to sleep when he's constantly bugging me, telling me to follow him to draw some graffiti in the cafeteria and b) the air conditioner in my room just won't stop rattling.

And you know what's worse? Fucking Jasper got let off because his stupid face ain't caught on the security camera. It was, in fact, his idea and the thought of him being let off for it just made me more upset and frustrated.

What a great friend he is. He's not even trying to bail me out.

"Sorry, Addie," he says, directing a wink my way. "Guess you're going in alone this time."

I should've punched his stupid face right then and there.

He actually stood and watched as they took me into the backseat of the deputy's car. Hands handcuffed to my back. I could have sworn I heard his stupid laughter echoing as I entered the car.

Before I could dive deeper into my thoughts, the door to the room burst open in one single kick, interrupting my angry monologue, and immediately, without a second to lose, the person quickly stepped toward me. The obnoxious click-clack and heavy clank of high heels could be heard hitting the ground as they walked. I could tell who the person was without the need to turn around, just from the rhythm of the clacking steps, the sound signalled the inevitably of my fate. "Adeline! How could you do this?"

Oh fuck. I know that voice very well. For once, I just wished my intuition was wrong and it was not who I thought it was for I know for a fact that this would not end well.

In the blink of an eye, all hell broke loose. A hand or two were thrown at me, pulling my hair and continuously hitting me. My eyes immediately shot open to gaze up at the lady before me. I immediately grabbed hold of her wrist in an attempt to stop her from hurting me more. "Ouch! I'm sorry, mum. It's not my—"