045

𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟒𝟓 — 𝐬𝐭𝐚𝐲 𝐛𝐲 𝐦𝐲 𝐬𝐢𝐝𝐞 𝐭𝐨𝐧𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭

The way back into town was dim and only lighten by the light of the moon and stars shining above the sky. The crunchy and wet substance below my feet was slowly making me wish I have modern boots on right now. I wish that my figure was covered by the warm embrace of my favourite cashmere coat. I miss how soft it would feel when it's brought close to my face. I miss the scent of it. I miss having it around just for me to grasp and wear whenever I want to.

If only I could have it right this instant.

The cold wasn't the only thing that was bothering me. I couldn't help but still held my guard up as long as I didn't see the town reaching my eyesight. It was far longer way back to town than it usually was. The heavy snow, constantly sinking our steps, probably just makes it way harder for us to be fast on our feet.

"Eline, I think you should get back to the prince," Bernard said all of a sudden when we finally reached town. Odell suddenly stopped and went on ahead, like always, now as quickly as she stopped in her steps, she was no longer in sight.

"Prince?" I turned to the blond, confused by his statement.

"You promised that you'd check up on him. Just spend the night there. You can come and spend time with me some other day. I'm not going anywhere after all."

"Who gives you the right to send her away?" Pierre suddenly voices out, making his presence once again known beside us. "I need to check on her first."

Bernard turned to stare incredulously at the male, "You still have doubts?" Bernard asked, shaking his head in disbelief.

"I'm not doubting you, wolf boy. I'm being careful. I don't want any mistake when it comes to her." Pierre said, no hint of the soft Pierre on his face, only the motherly concerned one was shown on it. "I wouldn't be able to sleep if I didn't check twice on her result."

"You're such a mum, Pierre," I laughed. "I'm sure it doesn't hurt to go under another checkup anyways. Wouldn't want to keep you up all night," I told him while sending a wink his way.

Pierre who was highly used to my flirting wasn't affected by it anymore. He mainly nods and we kept walking, first to the inn to send Bernard back - no matter how much he refuses it. Next to Nicholas's threshold to make it easier for me. Both destinations were there. Pierre's room and mine and Nicholas's.

We walked first to Pierre's room and he did so many checkups on me that I've lost count.

"Good god, Pierre. Why couldn't you just use magic? I'm already terribly sleepy," I whine after a long while under his health checkups.

"I forgot about it. But if I start it now, that means I had to start over. Since I've already used the normal way, let's just stick to it because I'm almost done."

Nodding, I let my eyes trail along his room. There's not much going on in it. Pierre's room has multiple beds. Dull green cover on top of each of it. The room smells almost as horrible as the hospital back in my timeline. One of the scents that I'll never miss.

Though I would love to question how he could have that scent in his room, at this point, not a lot could surprise me anymore. The bed were all lined tidily. I still remember how it was packed from that one time when he had to heal everyone after saving me from Martha. Quite a distasteful memory.

We sat there in silence, letting it swallow us whole. I can hear the sound of the rustling wind hitting the long drape covering the window. I can hear the sound of his soft tinkering as he worked about. Pierre looked peaceful as he worked.