044

𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟒𝟒 — 𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐝𝐞𝐚𝐝𝐥𝐲 𝐟𝐥𝐨𝐰𝐞𝐫 𝐨𝐧 𝐦𝐲 𝐬𝐤𝐢𝐧

The girl stood there. In front of us. Her blue mesmerizing eyes blinked as her gaze shifted from one to another. Her red hair was flowing swiftly along with the soft night winds. None of us spoke a word and mainly stared at one another. The pine and grass of our surrounding accompanied our scent, swirling in an invisible vast space around us.

We stared and stared. Quiet and constant. That was until Pierre cleared his throat and he spoke to answer the girl, "We're getting herb to cure Addie - a certain flower that Bernard was sure would heal any type of poison," he told the ginger and almost as quickly, he gingerly starts looking around as if fearing a hidden threat among the dark surroundings.

He looked from left to right and behind and at the front. He did it again and again to the point that I started to feel conscious too. "Are we almost there?" he asked, directed towards Bernard for only he knew the way to the magical flower that would be the sole answer to my cure.

Before the blonde could utter a reply, the ginger spoke again, inching closer as she grips my arms lightly, turning me to face her, "You're still not cured, Adeline?" she asked, sounding very worried. Her brow began to arch and furrow the longer I stayed silent.

"I'm not," I told her truthfully, shaking my head. "I'm under medication, so I'm fine for now."

"What are you looking for? Maybe I know a shortcut to help you."

"A flower called 'wolfbane'. Ever heard of it?" Pierre asked her.

She was deep in thought for a moment, "Can you describe how it looks to me?" she asked, after a while.

"It's a hood-shaped purplish-blue flower that I usually could find if I walked far deeper into this way," Bernard spoke, pointing towards a path in front of us. Then he turned and look Odell up and down. "Also, please don't mind me, but who are you?"

"I doubt that plant was supposed to help you in any way, Adeline," Odell spoke again, not quite answering Bern's question. "Who was it that told you such misleading things?"

Misleading things?

For a moment I was confused and worried, but when I look again towards Bernard, I know I trust him. Bernard had no reason to try to trick me. He had been pleasant company for me even from back then. I shrugged it off and smiled, turning to tell Odell about how Bern had told me the flower might help cure me from the poison that Martha might have given me.

"Bernard told us that Martha had used it to extend the life of her poisoned captive before."

"Funny you say that. It's actually a very dangerous flower that you may never even touch, Adeline. In her case, she may have used magic to change its dangerous state just so that it could have the effect that she desired."

Pierre now seemed concerned and wary of our quest after gaining this intel, "Are you sure that the flower would be able to heal her, Bernard?"

"Yes. I'm positive. I've used it before," Bernard replied, uninterested.

"On yourself?" Pierre asked again.

"No. I've healed someone with it before."