026

𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟐𝟔 - 𝐀𝐫𝐞 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐦𝐚𝐤𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐬 𝐦𝐲 𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐫𝐝 𝐭𝐢𝐦𝐞 𝐛𝐞𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐢𝐧 𝐡𝐨𝐬𝐭𝐚𝐠𝐞?

"I'm not a witch," I said with a small smile and my arms crossed around my chest before adding, "Just yet."

Still gripping Thomas's hand tightly, the man let out a chuckle. "Don't tell me you're learning witchcraft to get back at me for ruining your first arrival into Camelot?"

Thinking for a moment, I decided to play along in his little word game. "Right, I won't tell you that, just for the sake of pleasing my knight in shining armour," I paused, looking up at him with a grin, "Sir Knight."

Laughing with delight, his head thrown back and his grip on Thomas's wrist completely loosen. "You didn't change one bit, miss witch," he said, a sweet joy filling his syrupy chocolate eyes as it radiate through his perfectly white grin. He was glad to reunite, though I wasn't sure why given our first meeting wasn't really a good impression to have on each other. His face grew strained for one short moment after. "I'm sorry," he whispered softly, looking back towards Thomas.

"I was there. I saw you," he spoke again, not quite finishing his sentences or at the very least, try liberating me from my questions about his sudden change of behaviour.

He was there?

Where is "there"?

"Run along. I have matters to attend with the little miss," he directed at Thomas before turning to me, nodding his head onto the wooden door exit. Thomas frantically ran back to his little group of friends before casting me a nasty glance when he sat there, safe in the circle of defence provided by his friends.

I nodded at the knight and went back to the counter to grab my leather pouch, directing an apologetic glance at Gerald before muttering, "I'll be sure to come back," as I turned and ran to follow the knight as he walked out.

Stepping onto the unswept dry leaves and fallen twigs, I let the cold autumn breeze hugs me with its scent as I followed the steps of the knight, staying not farther than a few feet from him.

"So, what crime did I do now?"

His strained expression grew harder at my question. He kept his gaze on the ground, nose flaring every few heartbeats. His eyes stare straight and his strides are filled with purpose but lack the motivation as if he's actually bringing me along with him as part of his duty.

"Lord Greysen dispatched those knights to accompany your friends in your rescues. Lady Hilda and the servant boy," he stopped, taking a long breath before continuing, "They tried everything to gather help. But no one cares enough for a measly servant girl. Words went out that young Lady Hilda marched to Lord Nicholas's home with the servant boy in search of you. When they found out you left and didn't come back, the three panicked and one person came to young Lord Nicholas's mind." he said, giving me a pointed look. "Yes. Lord Greysen. Upon being questioned, he told them about the night he had with you and about the intruder. Lord Nicholas doesn't completely trust him but he wastes no time on the young Lord. Lady Hilda went around asking for help even from the royal court, who very easily dismissed her, for as I earlier stated, they don't care enough to help a mere servant girl out. Lord Greysen kept in check on the progress and noticed both Lord Nicholas and the servant boy spending their days in the wood more than once in those few days, though their path seems to differ."

I merely nodded as I listened. They are genuinely worried for me when I'm gone. And here I thought, I was gonna rot and die tortured by Martha in that hut without anyone actually trying to find me. "Why did he help me?"