029

𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟐𝟗 - 𝐖𝐡𝐚𝐭'𝐬 𝐚𝐧 𝐀𝐥𝐝𝐞𝐫𝐢𝐝𝐠𝐞?

I raced up to sit beside him. When my eyes fell on the pages, they grew in fraction. He's right. The necklace or rather the key is written in the book. There's a whole page dedicated to items under the category, 'Alderidge Safe keep Items'.

The necklace I have around my neck is called, 'the Ovunque's key'. There's a whole other item in the book too; a looking mirror, a notebook with a quill, a sword, a dagger, a staff, an actual list of necklaces, other keys and many more items, on every flipped page.

I stared down at my necklace. It was originally just a key, but it was pretty and the thought of finding a secret room sounded enticing at that time, so I decided to make it a necklace. It was a pretty necklace. One that I didn't know would bring me this much trouble when I used it. I wonder what Ovunque means. Does it have something to do with its purpose and how to use it?

Flipping the pages, it just listed the items under a clear detailed illustration of each article, but it didn't mention what each of those items' abilities and purposes was. What kind of book gave out info halfheartedly?

"Are you an Alderidge, Addie?" Pierre asked out of nowhere. His voice was laced with a pure hint of interest.

"What does that even mean?"

"You got one of the many Alderidge items, around your neck. How could you possibly have one if you're not?"

"Pierre, how about you slow down and explain to me first, what Alderidge means," I told him.

He took one slow breath before he stare at me quite intensely, to the point that I could hear my heartbeat drumming inside my ears under his stare. Why's he suddenly getting so serious? Did my ancestor somehow steal this stuff from these Alderidge folks? Or is my ancestor really an Alderidge?

I may never know, not if Pierre just sits there staring at me like a lovesick puppy. I raised an eyebrow at him as if to question him. Clearing my throat, I asked him, "So, are you just going to keep staring at me, or are you going to start telling me what got you so hysterical?"

He turned away for a moment before looking back at me with a serious expression. "Adeline, can you please tell me again, how you got here in the first place?"

A flicker of light shines in me. Stallions rode up in my heart as it beats up almost as excitedly as the hoof of each of them. I immediately grinned at him, "Do you trust me now?"

"I might start to."

I smiled lightly as I nodded, "Close enough," I said. "I was in my room when my mum turned the wifi off, just as she did the last few days that time."

Pierre stared at me with confusion, "What is wifi?"

"Oh. Boy, you have so much to learn and I very much want to take you back to my timeline. The boys would've loved you. Heck, even mum would have asked you to stay over for dinner."

He blinks his eyes a few times as if I had just added more confusion to him with my sudden modern slang language. Laughing lightly as I shake my head, "Alright, I'm sorry. You don't need to know about what 'wifi' is unless you actually come along with me back to my place later," I told him.

"And wifi was not the reason why I was here. It was just the reason why I started looking. A keyhole appeared on my wall. It wasn't there before. The last few days that I arrived at my Nana's house, it wasn't there. But suddenly there it was. And this key," I paused as I lifted the key forward for him to see. "It started glowing and being the idiot that I am, I tried it on the wall and it was a perfect fit."