007

𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟕 — 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐬𝐡𝐨𝐮𝐥𝐝 𝐫𝐞𝐚𝐥𝐥𝐲 𝐥𝐞𝐚𝐫𝐧 𝐭𝐨 𝐤𝐞𝐞𝐩 𝐲𝐨𝐮𝐫 𝐡𝐚𝐧𝐝𝐬 𝐭𝐨 𝐲𝐨𝐮𝐫𝐬𝐞𝐥𝐟

"Are you certain this is all right?" I inquired, my hand fidgeting with the hem of my gown.

"No, I know it's wrong. But I don't have any noble friends, to begin with," she shrugged as if bringing me along was no big deal.

When our carriage arrived, we stepped out, and I was struck by the structure of the building. While my mouth was still open in awe at the sight, Hilda grabbed my wrist and led me to the front of the Great Hall. The mere sight of the room made me gasp. It was magnificent. I had never in my life imagined myself going to a fancy party.

I had always thought it would bore me to death. I'm sure I'd bore myself to death here as well, but I'm glad I was able to attend such an event at least once.

I cast a downward glance at myself. A silky pine-green dress covered my entire body. My hair was neatly styled to the side. Even so, a few stubborn hairs managed to make their way back to the front of my face. For once, I believe my mother would approve of what I'm wearing. She always prefers me in a dress.

I think I look great tonight. Even though it's ridiculous, I feel stunning—almost like a princess. I allowed my gaze to stray around the room before lingering longer on a particular man with ivory skin. He had neatly styled ash-brown hair. I've never seen anyone smile more endearingly than he does. We locked eyes for a split second before I looked away and returned my focus to Hilda, who was grinning mischievously.

"What?"

She raised an eyebrow and asked, "Has anyone already won our raven-haired princess's heart?" In response to her statement, I can feel my cheek warming up. When she noticed my flushed cheek, she leaned closer, her eyes squinting, and lightly laughed as she backed away. "Addie, we haven't even entered the room yet."

"What? No! That is not true. I was just- I was just looking, okay?" I cupped my reddened cheeks, hoping for it to go unnoticed by her.

"If you say so," she said with a shrug before making her way into the room.

I clench my teeth and look around the room. I forced a deep breath before following her into it as my hand started to get clammy. Even though I find everything fascinating, if Hilda's father saw me tonight, I'd be in serious trouble. I had to avoid him at all costs tonight.

Hilda lightly touched my shoulder and spoke as if she had read my mind. "Relax. Just make sure my dad doesn't keep staring at you."

"That's easy for you to say. Your father isn't the only one I have to fool. This room is packed with nobles."

"So? Come on! Where is the adventurous Adeline I remembered from this morning? You did outrun Sir Aeron and the other Red Paladin today. Give yourself more credit, Addie."