047

𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟒𝟕 — 𝐈 𝐜𝐚𝐧'𝐭 𝐬𝐭𝐨𝐩 𝐦𝐲 𝐫𝐚𝐩𝐢𝐝𝐥𝐲 𝐛𝐞𝐚𝐭𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐡𝐞𝐚𝐫𝐭

With my feet almost failing to support me, I immediately shoved my way into the restroom and slammed the door behind me, clutching the bracelet tightly in my grip. With my other hand, I tried to reach for something to support my weakening knees. But to no avail, I failed.

I slid down the wooden door, resting my head against it. A few slow breaths came after, loud and rough. The rise and fall of my chest started to grow frantic.

My vision blurred as I pulled my knees to my chest, folding myself tightly. I clenched and unclenched my fists, hearing my heart close to my ears.

Inaudible sounds can be heard outside the door, but I couldn't focus enough to listen. It was incoherent.

Adeline, I heard her voice, calling me out from my crumpled shell.

Immediately, I gasped, pulling the gemstone bracelet to my chest. I pushed all thoughts aside as a glimmer of hope began to reach out to me.

Odell- Are you okay? Is it over?

Not yet. They're nearly approaching the barrier. But we're ready for them. You don't need to worry so much, Adeline. I can feel it all the way here.

I can't help it... You have no idea how much my chest is pounding at the moment.

I told you. I can sense your distress all the way here. Stop worrying. I'll be just fine.

You don't know that.

I promised you that I'd be alright, now stop fretting and think of something else. If the attack ends, you'll know.

Then the line ends, leaving me alone with only my thoughts again. Weird how it feels almost as if I was on a phone. When I'm really not. It's just a magical enchanted stone, is all.

"Petal, please open the door. Are you alright in there?" I finally heard Nicholas speak in a voice filled with concern. "I heard rough breathing and whimpers a moment ago. And now... you're just quiet. And I can't help but worry."

"Say something or I might have to break down the door," he said again.

I took a few long breaths to calm myself down, resting my head on the door. "Just– sit by the door for me, Nicholas," I told him.

"What happened? You just suddenly frantically began to walk very fast." I hear him slide down as he leans against the door as well. He sat directly against my frame - separated only by the wooden door. I can feel him there.

"I was just ... scared and worried, Nick."

"About what? The paladins?" he sneered unpleasantly almost scoffing in reply. "They were trained for this, Petal. It's their purpose."

"Well, yes. It's not really because of that but yes. That too. I don't want them hurt."

"It's fine admitting you care. Your big heart was a beautiful charm of yours anyway. It's understandable. You might have spent time with them, enough to care for the outcome."

"I did... but that's not why I acted this way."

I hear him huff after, "Tell me why then," he demanded after a while.

"I don't want them to succeed."

"What–" he questioned, confused and shocked. I don't need to see him to know that his eyes had widened in size. "Why's that?" he asked again.