018

𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟏𝟖 - 𝐈 𝐭𝐡𝐨𝐮𝐠𝐡𝐭 𝐭𝐡𝐚𝐭 𝐢𝐭 𝐦𝐞𝐚𝐧𝐬 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐰𝐨𝐮𝐥𝐝 𝐛𝐞 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐨𝐧𝐞 𝐭𝐡𝐚𝐭 𝐰𝐨𝐮𝐥𝐝 𝐛𝐞 𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐫𝐞 𝐟𝐨𝐫 𝐦𝐞, 𝐭𝐫𝐮𝐥𝐲 𝐟𝐨𝐫 𝐦𝐞

Just as promised, Nicholas used his power and told the guards to stand down. He told them to bring Bernard to him. His excuse for his actions was that he wanted to do exploitation of rare species, like Bernard, to see if there was in fact a cure for such things. He vowed that if Bernard was in fact harmful in any way, he would kill him himself.

Despite him keeping his word, Nicholas kept to himself. He tries his best to stay away from me. Whenever he saw me, it only took him a few seconds to steer away and completely ignore me, shutting his door from me.

I can still taste him on my tongue. I couldn't help but lick my lips and savour the leftovers of his taste; something close to citrus and masculinity, with a dash of rich red wine. I could feel the warm remains of his palm-print against my sides, and I was certain I could still sense his weight leaning over me.

There was a gloss of sweat across my forehead and above my mouth as I carefully pulled myself up into a sitting position on my bed, moaning as my weak limbs protested. I was trembling, although it could have been from either the pain I felt from the invisible wound or Nicholas's lips; I had completely no idea.

Battling a shiver, I struggled to the front door, thanking forgotten deities that the living area I shared with Nicholas, wasn't too far from where Pierre's was. I needed to get myself diagnosed and healed. Stumbling with difficulty along the lonely corridors, I weaved around the necessary corners and had the second shock of my afternoon when I found his room bustling with activity. I froze in the doorway and my eyes danced across the busy room, my confused gaze immediately falling to my blonde friend, perched on one of the beds.

"Hilda," I called, dodging two ladies running to tend the injured as I neared my noble friend. "What's going on?"

"Did you not remember," she replied in her usual bored tone. "A lot of people were attacked by your friend Bernard the other day, although if I heard it correctly, the court is letting him go soon."

"Is everyone okay?"

"I think so," Hilda nodded, gesturing to the small cut on her forearm. "Madam Gustrew's just finishing up with one of the knights and I think I'm next."

"And how many are after you?"

"Those people over there," she mumbled, pointing to a crowd of no less than fifteen people. "Where's Nicholas and why are you here, not resting?" Then her brow furrowed, "Did he already start bossing you around despite your injuries? And here I thought after the tantrum spouting and insisting to keep you beside him, he actually cares for you. I should have known better."