024

𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟐𝟒 - 𝐣𝐮𝐬𝐭 𝐟𝐨𝐫 𝐭𝐨𝐧𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭...

Odell kept her word. She walked us to the outskirts of town and ran off after making sure we entered town safely. Lanterns were lits beside the door of every hut, providing us with light that shines our way hopefully till we reach Nicholas's threshold.

I walked slowly, calming myself as I gazed around my surroundings. I can see a chicken clucking as it pecked on the ground, fireflies flying near the mountainside and the forest that we just left still a few feet in our reach.

Red mushrooms with white spots grew by a few tall standing trees. There's also a festive chatter echoing from inside one of the taverns we just passed.

A tavern.

I lifted my head up and read 'Jericho's Inn' on the wooden board. A pang of guilt and concern overflows me. It's Feiya's husband's inn.

I wonder how Gerald is holding on.

I wonder how he was still able to work in that atmosphere after the tragedy that had fallen on him. I found my eyes lingering at the door of his inn, feet stopping completely as I stare. Cheerful, drunken chatters and laughter can be heard even from outside the inn.

I wanted to check on him, I really do. I took a few steps to his inn but stopped and thought better of it as I merely turned to continue my journey back home.

No, I thought. What was I even supposed to say if I met him? Maybe next time, when I actually know what to say. When I actually know how to make someone feel better.

Pierre's footsteps followed me, slow and hesitant. A halt was then heard. "Do you need a drink, Addie?" he suddenly asked.

"What?" Pierre's question caught me off guard. Shaking my head, "No," I told him.

Nodding as he stared at me. "It's just that you suddenly stopped in front of that inn and were going to walk to it," he pointed with a shrug.

"It's not because I wanted to drink, but I just– wanted to check on Gerald."

"Gerald?"

"The buff build man, with light brown curly long hair, grey eyes and a shaggy beard, who owned the inn, who also happened to be Feiya's –the girl "Martha" killed– husband."

"Oh," Pierre said, the awkwardness noted in his voice. "I forgot she's married."

"It's quite alright. Sometimes, I do too."

With how constant we see a broken Nicholas, it wasn't a matter hard to forget for either of us.

Silent embraces us again. We stayed silent all the way. We even parted silently, head nodding, eyes flickering and briefly exchanging worried glances at each other's wounds.

The hall was very narrow and long for me today. Perhaps it's because I'm just too tired after everything that happened today. Perhaps I'm slowly feeling the pain of my wound.

I turned the knobs and walked into the dimly dark room. The scent of citrus filled my nose as I walked along the wooden floor.

"Where have you been?" a cold hard voice greeted me in the dark. A pair of stormy grey eyes stares my way.

Placing a hand over my shaken heart, I glared at the owner of those eyes. "Nick! Would you stop scaring me? I was just back from the–" I stopped myself from saying more, shutting my lips as I realised how comfortable I suddenly act around him. "You know what? It's nothing you need to worry about," I said, hurriedly making my way into my room. I don't need this right now. Just ignore me and we'll be doing each other a favour.