048

𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟒𝟖 — 𝐒𝐡𝐞 𝐧𝐞𝐞𝐝𝐬 𝐦𝐞

Merlin wasn't fazed no matter how much I tried to change his mind. We walked side by side, Nicholas, Merlin and me, down the hall. The two were talking and ranting about how much of a prat Arthur is, in a joking manner, I'm sure. Nicholas was still wary of me, so he placed his arms around me, keeping himself close while helping me stand upright.

I try so hard not to think of the ongoing war in the woods. I try so hard to think of anything else. I let my eyes trail down the gravel path. I let my eyes fall on the garden which had been blanketed by white wet snow.

Snow. I miss playing in the snow with my stupid friends - acting like a bunch of youthful stupid kids - which we were.

I wonder how they were. I wonder how Mum is.

When we arrived back in our room, I went to sit in the corner, burying my head in my knees, hoping to shut the world out. Does it work? Not as much as I hoped it would.

I hear shifting by my side, a faint sigh and then silence. I could hear only frequent breathing from both Nicholas and me. I could hear my own beating heart, hammering faster by the minute.

"It'll be alright," he suddenly said.

I turned to gaze at him, bearing no emotions as I did. "What will be alright?"

"Your friend and Lucian. I notice how close you two were," he shrugged. "I can't make promises. But I have a feeling that tells me that it'll be alright."

"Do you really think so?"

"I believe so."

I sighed, looking down at the floor. I know he's trying to make me feel better, but I still don't feel any better from this. I'm not going to feel any better unless they stop. I wasn't so sure about his words, but I desperately needed to believe in them. The idea of losing the people I cared about was enough to send me spiralling into a panic attack.

Nicholas's voice was low and reassuring, "Trust me, Petal," he took my hand and grazed his fingertips on it, "Even if they were harmed in this battle, I'm sure they'll be alright at the end. I can just feel it."

"How do you know that? No one knows that."

"I do. My feelings were rarely wrong."

I hope that's true.

The room grew quiet once more, but this time, the silence was heavy and lingering. Nicholas graced me with his soft and gentle touch on my hand. I could feel his warmth through my thin, linen dress. It provided a sense of comfort and calmness. One I know I needed. Especially now.

The time ticks very slowly, unbearably slow, almost as if it was scared to turn up. I can only find comfort in Nicholas' soft touch and murmur of hopefulness. Soon, I find myself drowning in my subconsciousness. I fell asleep, once more in his arms. And the world quiet along. I'm no longer filled with worries.

It wasn't long before a loud announcement was made announcing the paladin's arrival home. My heart immediately skipped a beat. I had to go check on them. Pierre. They must be in Pierre's room like last time.

I stood up, immediately, I needed to go there now. While I trudged forward, I can hear Nicholas walking right behind me. I opened the door and gasped as to my surprise, I found a familiar male with sandy blonde hair outside our doorstep. His blue eyes met mine, staring at me softly as if he had been waiting for me to come out.

"Bern!" I gasped. "What are you doing here?"

"Coming to see my friend, of course. Though, you seem to be in a hurry to be somewhere else."