016

𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟏𝟔 - 𝐟𝐫𝐢𝐞𝐧𝐝𝐬 𝐭𝐢𝐥𝐥 𝐝𝐞𝐚𝐭𝐡 𝐩𝐚𝐫𝐭 𝐮𝐬

In the midst of trying to sleep, shivering from the cold, I find myself suddenly feeling a warm embrace coated around me, obstructing every bad thought and pushing every nightmare out of my head. I'm at ease. I'm at ease. I'm fine, I remind myself over and over again. I told myself to forget. Forget what just happened. Forget all the blood. Forget all the pain.

I tried so hard. I kept trying, and then I felt a finger wiping my tears stain softly. I heard a voice muttering soft apologies and words of comfort. I could feel my body being pulled into a comforting embrace. I feel safe. I feel fine. Slowly, I ease back into my slumber where everything turns black.

I awoke the next morning to find myself wrapped in a warm blanket. A streak of light came through the holes around the front door as a strong breeze wafted through the two windows, pushing them open and close. I took the blanket in my hands, craning my head around the room as I felt its fluffiness in my hand. The red hue of the blanket was so deep that I swear gallons of wine were used to create it. I pressed it against my cheek, rubbing the fluff on me. The scent of cedar, bark, and bread finds its way to my nose as I do so. I chuckled at it. Sounds just about right for Bernard's trait. I looked around, hoping to find him; hoping he'd let me explain myself.

How peculiar.

Around each corner of the room, he's nowhere to be seen. I looked down at my feet, unsure whether the witch had let me keep my ability to walk after last night. I did try to run from here. I tried moving it, and it moves exactly the way I want it to. I feel my heart leapt with joy. I can walk. She is letting me walk.

"Can you feel it?"

I raised my head and turned to face the source of the voice; Bernard. I gave him a nod after staring at him with a small smile on my lips. "I'm still able to walk this time."

"That's great."

And then there was silence. He's quiet. He's always quiet. But this time, his silence emits an awkward aura that floats around the room. All I heard were crackling sounds made from the burnt firewood at the hearth at the far end of the room.

Exhaling a sharp breath, I forced myself upright and walked up to him, standing a few feet away from him. His messy hair is by far his best feature. I couldn't help but give him a small laugh as I gazed upon his morning nature. It's somewhat comforting.

Without me knowing what I was doing, I raised my hand and ruffled his hair as I grinned up at him. He said nothing more than just gave me a small smile.

"Did you have a good sleep?" he asked.

"Hm. It's as good as it can be."

Then he stared. His blue eyes, as blue as the clear ocean, stare right into mine. He stares and he stares. Breathing quite so softly, brushing my face ever so lightly as it hits me.