041

𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟒𝟏 — 𝐭𝐫𝐢𝐩 𝐭𝐨 𝐦𝐚𝐫𝐭𝐡𝐚'𝐬 𝐜𝐞𝐥𝐥

"Where are we going, Addie?"

We've walked quite a distance ever since Elrond agreed to follow me and Bernard. My feet were hitting the ground heavily, as heavy as my heart was beating at the rhythm of the growing worries beginning to lump my throat. "You might recognise the path, Bernard," is all I tell him in return to satisfy his curiosity.

He was quiet for a moment before it dawned on him, finally, three seconds later. "You can't seriously take me back there, Addie. I just got out of it," he argued, though his feet didn't stop walking, he went on forward, along with me, regardless.

"Elrond," I called, feet still marching forward as I turned slightly at him. "I'm glad you're agreeing to accompany us, but how did you know where I was?"

Elrond didn't wear the certain worry me and Bernard does as he was not affected by all that was happening nor does it matter to him what happened to Nicholas, the man he never knew. Though it was true that Bernard had no need to feel any worry or care either. It shows that he does indeed care, at least for a little bit for the lad.

"I have many gifts, tracking people down is one of the many," Elrond replied so abruptly in a leisurely manner after a long moment of silence. His reply made me snap my attention immediately back to him, out of my own trance.

"Could detecting enchantment be one of your gifts too, Elrond?" I asked him, completely ignoring his leisure tone in the confession, no matter how big it may seem, thinking that maybe he could be a shortcut to answer my worry. A short blimp of yes and no.

He remained unresponsive for a moment, seeming to be in thought. Then he nodded, at last, his face was still as laidback as ever. "I can sense it just by being in the same room as the person," he said before turning to gaze at me, "Why do you ask?"

"I might need you to check if the person we're meeting was bewitched or not when we arrived."

He didn't ask more questions and we just kept walking, down the town and deep into a familiar warm path for me once. The dungeon for the captured was in the castle. Protected by Prince Arthur and his red paladins. Hilda lived near the castle, in fact, her home was inside the castle's wall. I know a bit of my way there because I've served her before and while I did, I've walked the castle ground every waking hour of my day.

The gate of the castle was wide open. Guards on each side. The armoured guards lowered their weapons at my approach, and one of them came forth to greet me, his polished steel helmet glimmering under the hit of the sun. "Miss Adeline, are you coming over to visit?" he asked when he was near me.

I stared up at the tall brunette towering over me, with a gaping mouth. I was caught off guard by the fact that he recognised me when I didn't know who he was. Not only him, but the others seem to recognize me too. I was left a bit stunned for a brief moment, no words came out of me as I stared shocked at all the knights standing guard in front of the gate.

I was brought back to the moment when I felt Bernard's hand on my arm, shaking me lightly. I cleared my throat to get hold of my ground before I met the knight's gaze and nodded. "Yes. I planned to visit the witch before her death trial."

The knights exchanged looks with each other and after they did, all of their eyes turned back to me. The one standing in front of me made a painful sounding throat-clearing sound before he once again met my eyes. "Are you sure that was wise, Miss Adeline?"

Another knight behind him, blonde hair with hazel eyes, went up to us, putting his hand on the man before me. He spoke, "It is not a business of ours what she wishes to do unless it brings harm to all that was in the castle. And though it was questioning, I doubt she meant to bring any harm during her stay."