030

𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟑𝟎 - 𝐇𝐨𝐰 𝐦𝐮𝐜𝐡 𝐦𝐨𝐫𝐞 𝐰𝐞𝐢𝐫𝐝 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐝𝐫𝐚𝐢𝐧𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐜𝐚𝐧 𝐚 𝐝𝐚𝐲 𝐠𝐞𝐭?

He stares at me. Quietly and without much intent. Seeming almost lost. "Where were you?" he asked after a few quiet moments.

"I was out," is all I said.

"You were in no condition to do that. And besides, It's already late."

"I'm alright," I told him curtly.

"Yes, I can see that. But you weren't yesterday," he said before continuing, "What else did you have to do? How much more scars and wounds are you trying to get?"

"Goodness, Nicholas. I'm alright. You can see it for yourself if you doubt me."

"Alright then. Show me."

"Wha–" I paused for a moment, shocked by his sudden demand. "Fine," I said, finally, closing the door behind me. I lifted my gown up to show him my closed-up wounds. "See, I'm healing."

His eyes run around all of the places where he treated me last night as if his eyes had memorized where my wounds were. Engraved deep into the cloud of his brain. Slowly his eyes grew wide in surprise. "How– why are you healing so fast?"

"I told you, I'm fine." Slowly, I put the gown back down and walked up to my table to place my pouch down. Despite not seeing him, I know, his eyes never left me. It follows me everywhere. I can feel hot stares drilling into the back of my head.

"Where's the book?" he suddenly asked.

Crap.

What do I tell him about this?

I took one shallow breath before I decided it was something I wasn't supposed to share so easily with him, "Somewhere safe, in the hands of someone that I trusted," I said, at last.

"And who is that?" he asked again.

"Why are you asking?"

"I just want to know."

"It's somewhere safe," I pushed. Not wishing to share more than what I needed to with him. I don't know why, but I think it's best not to tell anyone about it. Besides, if people know that I gave it to Pierre and start to make assumptions, who knows what that'll bring the both of us.

I turned to him, staring back at him, with just as much intensity. "I can't tell you, because–"

"You took the book on your own. I have no right over it," he said, nodding as he gaze away. A flicker of disappointment flashes through his expression.

What was that?

I tried to see into him, and I couldn't read him. Something about him was weird today. Almost as if the man, sitting before me, wasn't my Nicholas. At least, not the one I'm familiar with. Could it be, that he was hurt? Was he hurt by my lack of faith in him?

"I'm just–" he started. "I'm glad to see you again."

I opened my mouth to reply when he suddenly got off my bed, cutting me off before I even got the chance. He was about to walk out the door, and that's when I saw it. Something foreign and shouldn't be on him, caught my eye. A wristwatch was on his wrist. Gasping, I leapt forward for him, holding his wrist. "Where did you get that?"

He pulled his wrist away from me. Backing away into the wall behind him. "It's nothing, petal."

"It is something. Where did you get it?"

He kept his stares guarded for a while before they melted. Sorrow filled his eyes as he stares into mine. His strong front completely collapses as he continuously stares. "Petal, please. You're going to go on a crazy adventure, collecting all these magical goods. I want you to stop."