004

𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟒 — 𝐰𝐡𝐲 𝐝𝐢𝐝 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐡𝐞𝐥𝐩 𝐦𝐞?

"No! Unhand me this instant! What do you think you're doing?" I shouted as I did everything in my power to repel the knights who were attempting to drag me with them. "Let me go! Don't you dare lay your hand on me! for fuck sake! You're a bunch of lunatics! Do you hear me? MENTAL!"

I wonder which of the events could possibly be more mental, the fact that simply admitting you're a witch can result in death, or that despite being a couch potato, I was running around more than I'd ever done in my life while escaping those insane knights? I'm sure it's both insane – at least for me, it is.

"Come back here!" The long-haired knight shouted as he ran after me with the other knights.

My breathing grew rougher and my heart began to ache, but I couldn't stop running. No. I wouldn't dream of stopping my feet right now. The knights would catch up with me if I stopped running. I'm not even close to achieving any of my dreams. I don't want to die like this!

"I'm good! I won't stop running, thank you! Not even in your wildest dream, Sir Knight!" I shouted back.

I kept sprinting till I got to a three-way junction and decided to take a left turn. I pulled out some stacks of boxes of crops from the left side of the road and dropped them all on the ground. From all the films I saw, this would allow me to buy some petty time.

And as I foresaw it when the knights turned the corner, I could hear their groan from miles away, and I could only chuckle at the sound.

"Sorry. Better luck next time, dimwits!"

I kept running, trying to gather my breath at the very same time. Never would I have thought anything would be waiting for me around the corner, so I was quite astounded and gobsmacked when a hand grabbed my arm out of nowhere. I almost immediately shrieked in response. However, the person did not bulge at my response. Instead, they only drew me closer to them.

Instantly, a palm was placed over my lips to prevent me from shouting any further. I attempted a shin kick at the person who was holding me. However, I failed miserably in doing so. But it didn't stop me from trying to escape. I tried stomping on their feet. It was partly a success, for I earned a grunt from the person who was holding me. Still, he made no attempt to let me go.

"Stay still. I'm trying to help you in your escape." A raspy male voice could be heard, whispering near my ear. I could feel a shiver down my spine at the whisper of his breath. I stood frozen in his arms, my mind racing around the place.

Why would anyone in this time period (if I really went back into the past) help a witch? Not that I'm a witch or anything, but still. I was about to say something when I heard footsteps down the trail. It had to be one of those pesky knights who were looking for me. My mouth immediately shut tight at the sound.

I really didn't want to get caught. The footsteps were very near. The sound of footsteps became increasingly audible to me. I firmly closed my eyes and tried to blend in with my surroundings, pushing myself closer to the guy as sweat trickled down my brow. He didn't seem to quite mind it. In fact, he only pulled me closer to his own resort.

Not even a few minutes later, I heard a door open and close. The footsteps had gone far, and soon after stopped.

I breathed a sigh of relief. I was hoping to flee and find a more secure hiding spot. However, the guy's grip on me only grew tighter and I was becoming increasingly uncomfortable by the minute.

I cleared my throat to draw his attention. I'm not a big fan of physical contact. I almost despise it, especially if they touch me without my permission.

"I think you can let me go now. They seem to have already left."

It took him a few seconds to finally let me go. When he finally let go of me, I took advantage of the opportunity to put some distance between us. I was still wobbly, and my legs were tired from all the running.

"Bloody hell, what perfect timing to be having a fucking cramp," I groaned before falling to the ground with a thud.

The boy only stares at me quietly, watching my every move, just as a hawk would. If only looks could kill, I would have been dead by now.

I shifted my gaze to the young man in front of me. — studying him just as he did me. He appears to be around my age. Green eyes as pretty as an emerald, black curly wavy hair, and a lovely face. He had the appearance of an angel. You could have mistaken him for one if you were in my situation.

"Why did you help me?"

He shrugged and looked away. "Can't truly blame me if I don't really like watching witch hunts. Some of the people who were given the punishments didn't even do anything to anyone. Just like you, the only thing you did was announce that you're a witch."

"Bless your soul, whatever your name is. But I'm not a witch at all. I would not have fled in the manner that I did if I were a witch. I just yelled that in a fit of anger. I didn't expect to have an army on my back attempting to burn me if I said such things."

Upon hearing my truthful side of the story, the boy seemed to be dazed and stared into the empty space. He stopped blinking and breathing. One might say he's grown speechless. "Oh," he murmured, before breaking out in a burst of small laughter.

I was about to laugh with him at the absurdity, but then I grew wary again as I remembered, that I'm still a fugitive. In an instant, I got up to my feet and pressed my palm against his lips to silence him.

"I know it's ridiculous. I know it is. But I'm still on the run, lad. Please don't draw the knight's attention here. I'm too exhausted to go for another mile."

The guy stopped laughing and merely nodded. He shoved what appeared to be a dress into my hand and said, "Wear this."

I lowered my gaze to the garment. It's like a dress. But do I just wear it like putting on a shirt? I have no idea how I'm supposed to go about this. "Excuse me, but I have a question: how do you put this on?" I gestured to the dress he had just handed me.

For a moment, he thought I was joking, but when he saw that I was actually clueless, he just stared at me as if I'd gone insane. "What exactly do you mean?"

"You can't blame a girl for never wearing this sort of apparel before, pal."

"Well—why do you speak in such an odd way?"

Honestly, how am I supposed to talk? It's not like I'm fluent in ancient English and their etiquette and manners in speaking. "Ig–Ignore my oddness. You'll get used to it. Just help me out with this."

"I'm not sure why you have no idea how to wear a cotte, but I don't blame you for not having worn one before. But I need you to put it on right now so that we may leave this spot unseen."

With the little help of a cocky green-eyed boy known as my saviour, I discovered that dressing in mediaeval attire wasn't all that difficult. It's actually a lot easier than I anticipated. It's just like putting a shirt on. I must have seemed so stupid a moment ago.

We walked back outside, leaving our safe hut. I felt a surge of anxiety as the knights passed by us. I'm not sure where I'm going, but I think I can trust him. I didn't have many options, to begin with. Let's hope I can get some rest once I arrive at the safe area the boy is taking me to.