005

𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟓 — 𝐠𝐨𝐝𝐫𝐢𝐜 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐰𝐢𝐬𝐞 𝐩𝐡𝐲𝐬𝐢𝐜𝐢𝐚𝐧

"Come on in," the boy spoke as he opened the door to a room in the castle. Although I'm wary of being in a castle when the palace knights were looking for me, I had no choice but to trust the boy's good intentions once more. I have absolutely nowhere to go other than this. With that in mind, I can only follow him without dismissing his kind gestures.

He led me straight into a room with a sign that reads, "Court Physician." When we entered the room, my eyes started looking around every corner of it. There's a lot of brewed potion on a table, alongside ingredients, mostly herbal ingredients. There are numerous cabinets in the room. The sound of crackling wood could be heard from a fireplace as its fire warms the whole room.

In the centre of the room, on an old-looking chair, there's an old man staring straight at me. He kept staring until he suddenly spoke, "Oy, who's this lady you brought home?"

"It's just a friend of mine, uncle," the boy replied simply before turning to face me. "Make yourself at home. I don't think I've introduced myself yet. I'm Pierre. And you are?"

"I'm Adeline. My friends call me Addie. "

"I see. It's nice to meet you."

"Likewise, if it hadn't been for you, I would have been burned to ashes by now," I said, expressing my gratitude with a small smile on my face. Having the need to process everything that had happened, I merely stared into the space of nothingness. As much as I don't want to admit to any superstitions I thought of, in the back of my head, I already had some theories made up for it.

It's all that darn key's doing. If I hadn't tried to feed my stupid curiosity, I wouldn't be here. I tucked my hand into my pocket as I gripped the key, pulling it out of my pocket. I stared down at it. I was lost in my thoughts after that, just looking into the distance.

His uncle, who had been listening in, suddenly spoke up (yet again), drawing our attention to him. "Burned? Are you a witch?"

His accusation had obviously taken me by surprise. Words almost fail to form in my head, considering how ridiculous the question sounds to me. "God no. There's nothing wrong with being one. I'm not sure what all the fuss is about. But I am certainly not one of them."

He only stares and stares. –as if he's trying to read into my soul. After a few moments of staring, the old man simply nodded. "Some of us don't get to choose who we were born as. But we can choose how to use our gifts. Magic is fine as long as you don't use it to hurt others."

I only nodded at him. I don't think I have to believe in magic. But it's an interesting topic. "You spoke as if you knew someone who actually possessed magical abilities."

In an instant, he cleared his throat and averted his gaze away from me. Before I could question his behaviour, Pierre interrupted me abruptly. "Don't be bothered by Uncle Godric. He's always been like that. Did the knights hurt you in any way while they were chasing you?"