⚡️ Chapter Seven ⚡️

"Y/n Arlert, are you ready?" Commandant Shadis asks.

"I've never been more ready, sir!" I reply.

It was now morning and everyone is gathered at the ODM gear training site again, ready to see if Eren and I will pass or be shipped off to the fields today.

I really appreciate Reiner and Bertolt's help last night. I feel like we'll be able to do this today. I can hope so anyways. I guess we'll see.

"Pull her up!" He commands. Just like yesterday, the cranking sound begins behind me. So, now all I've got to do is stay in a position I feel relaxed in.

My feet begin to leave the ground and I'm keeping my balance so far. That's good. I just need to keep this position a little bit longer and I'll be fine.

People in the crowd start cheering for me, making me smile brightly. I feel so proud and accomplished!

"Alright! Bring her down!" Shadis commands and the cranking starts again and my feet soon touch the ground. "Join everyone else, midget." I quickly unlatch the hooks from my belt and join Armin's side.

"Good job. I'm proud of you." Armin remarks.

I smile at him. "Thank you! I wouldn't have been able to do without Reiner and Bertolt's help!"

"I knew you had it in you." Reiner says, ruffling my hair.

"I said last night that you'd be able to become a soldier and it looks like you'll actually be able to." Bertolt adds.

I nod. "Yeah! I can't thank you both enough." I look at Eren. "I just hope Eren can do it too..."

"Eren Jaeger, are you ready?" Shadis asks.

Eren nods firmly. "Yes, sir!"

"Proceed." Shadis orders, and Eren starts getting cranked up. His feet soon leave the ground and he's doing fine even as he gets lifted up higher and higher.

We all start cheering for him. I know how much becoming a Scout means to him, so if he passes this, that's only one step closer for him to become one.

Suddenly, he loses his balance and falls backward, almost hitting his head again.

"No!" He yells. "Not yet! I can do this!"

"Lower him." Shadis orders.

This isn't good at all. Does this mean that Shadis is going to send Eren off to the fields? I mean, he was up for quite some time.

Eren is lowered and he falls to his knees. "I-I'm finished..."

Shadis abruptly looks at the guy that was cranking Eren up, whose name is Thomas, I think. "Wagner! Please exchange belts with Jaeger!"

He visibly stiffens. "Uh, yes, sir!" He quickly takes his belt off and gives it to Eren, who was ready to put the new belt on and attach the hooks.

"Pull him up again." Shadis commands and Eren is immediately cranked up. He doing great, just as last time and he's not falling either.

"Your equipment was defective." Shadis explains. "If given a piece of functional gear, you might not be worthless after all. I guess the quartermaster didn't notice this broken clasp. I might have to visit the supply depot and crack a few skulls."

"He..." Some guy nears us starts. "He still did it even though he was wearing busted gear."

"Amazing..." Another guy remarks.

I smile to myself. "That's Eren for ya..."

"So, you mean I-I didn't wash out?" Eren asks, still keeping his balance.