⚡️ Chapter Nine ⚡️

"Do you have heart?" A commander asks.

All 218 of us graduated cadets salute. "Sir!"

Tonight, we're having the graduation ceremony and after I make my decision of joining the Scouts tomorrow...there's no turning back.

"As of this moment, you have three options open to you! Choose wisely." The commander remarks. "The Garrison Regiment: Whose job is to reinforce the walls. The Scout Regiment: Who rides out into Titan country to take back what was once ours. Finally, the MP Regiment: Whose job is to maintain law and order under orders from His Royal Majesty."

Even if I wanted to join the MP, I wouldn't be able to, since I didn't list in Top Ten. However, Commandant Shadis told me I was very close, but Christa just barely passed me in scores. So, here I am, standing next to my dear brother.

"Those cadets eligible for the MP have already been named. The rest of you, take a look. These are the top of your class." The commander shouts.

From 10th place to 1st place, we have: Christa, Sasha, Connie, Marco, Jean, Eren, Annie, Bertolt, Reiner, and Mikasa. I knew Mikasa was going to list in Top Ten. I'm not even surprised that she got first spot. Congratulations, you guys.

⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡

"You're really going to turn your back on the MP for the Scouts?" Thomas asks. "Why in the world would you do that? You're in the Top Ten."

As always, it's dinner time, but I'm considering this as our celebratory dinner in surviving those three years of hellish training.

"The Scouts have always been my goal." Eren answers. "I don't want the easy life. Not with all the work I've put in. I've trained to fight Titans."

"Are you insane?!" Thomas exclaims, making the room go quiet. "How many people have died? I mean, we're talking a fifth of the population! If that doesn't paint a picture for you, I don't know what will. This is our life now. We can't beat them."

I hang my head. Thomas definitely has a point. The Scouts ride outside of these walls and they kill Titans, but they only seem to repopulate somehow. It's about damn near impossible to kill them all.

"Yeah? So what?" Eren asks, causing a few people to gasp. "We buckle? Take it all lying down? Things have changed, maybe not a hell of a lot, but enough. They aren't the mystery they were five years ago. There's still a long way to go, but we've made progress. Every battle we lost taught us a lesson. It gave us the tiniest inroad towards something like hope!"

He makes a fist. "Are you telling me it's better to cut our losses? Let all the death and destruction be meaningless?! Just to ball up and accept it?! Not on your life! Humanity's future lies outside of these walls, and I'm going to clear the way! I'm going to take back what was ours! I'll drive them out and as long as at least one of us can say that, we're not done."

He looks up at everyone staring at him and tears immediately come to his eyes, making him run out of the building.

I drop my cup, creating a mess on the floor. "Eren!" I run after him.

"Eren, wait!" Armin calls out behind me. I'm sure Mikasa is with him.

All we did was step out the front door and there was Eren, sitting on the steps, rubbing his eyes.

"Eren..." I sit on the top step, while Mikasa and Armin sit closer to him. "That sure was some speech you gave in there."

"Yeah?" He questions. "Most of that speech was yours and Armin's. You know, all that stuff you two used to say back in the day."