⚡️ Chapter Eight ⚡️

"Pick up the pace, you lead-heeled laggards!" Shadis commands, as he rides alongside us on his horse.

It's been two almost three years since we've signed up and Shadis was correct on the first day, this has been hell, but I would never want to erase all the friends and memories I've made. The good news is that we're almost able to graduate and become a Scout, Military Police member, or Garrison member.

You could say that I'm pretty good with the ODM gear now and that I've definitely toughened myself up. I mean, I have muscles and I've even formed a small six-pack, from my extra training sessions with Mikasa that we have every other day.

I told myself that I was going to train really hard here and I have. It also takes a lot longer until I start panting when I'm running. I've finally built up a tolerance.

Anyways, we're running through a forest with heavy backpacks on our backs for our training today. To make things harder, it's raining where we are and that's making mud, meaning we could easily slip and fall.

Yesterday, our group got to practice more with ODM gear and practice cutting deep enough into a Titan's nape. Of course, there weren't any real Titans. They're just cardboard ones. I still like doing it better than this though.

"Maggot!" Shadis exclaims. Yes...he still calls me maggot. "Why are you moving like a turtle?! You were fine two days ago!"

"Armin isn't looking too great, so I'm staying behind with him, sir!" I reply.

"Are your boots water-logged, runt?" Shadis asks Armin. He still calls Armin a runt too. "Let's see some hustle!"

I look at Shadis. "He's having a hard time catching his breath, sir!"

"Is the gear too heavy for you, son?" He asks. "Drop it! Leave it in the mud! The Titans will have easier work digesting you faster than anyone here, even your sister. Drop the excess baggage!" He rides on ahead.

"Damn it..." Armin curses. "Run on ahead, Y/n. This goes on our grade."

"I'd rather make sure you're okay than make a good grade." I reply.

"Seriously, Doll?" Reiner asks, trailing back to be near Armin and I. "You're willing to get a bad grade for your brother?"(I'm sorry if you don't like the nickname, but I feel like Reiner would totally use it-)

Just last year, I figured out that Reiner likes me. He started calling me 'Doll' all the time and was just around me a lotmore than usual.

Ymir, on the other hand, is practically in love with Christa and I. She's always going on about how she's going to marry both of us, which also helped me figure out that Reiner likes me, because when she says that and he's around, he always replies with: 'Not before I marry Y/n first.'

I nod. "Yes! I want to make sure he's okay. You should know this already, Reiner. I've always stayed by his side."

He sighs and takes Armin's backpack off his back and rests it on his own back. "Here. You focus on staying upright, so Y/n can run on ahead. We are being graded on this, you know."

"Thanks, but, uh, won't they demerit you for helping me?" Armin asks.

"He'll make it, Reiner. Just give him his bag back." I try to reason.

"Don't you worry one bit, Doll. They're not going to find out." He looks past me and at Armin. "Just make the cut and we're even, alright?" He runs ahead of us.

I shake my head at his fleeing figure, before looking over at Armin. "You'll be okay, right?"

He nods, determined. "Yes. Go on ahead. You're the only one out of the both of us that has a chance of listing in the Top Ten. Now go."