⚡️ Chapter Sixteen ⚡️

"That's that. So, visiting this cellar should clear everything up?" Commander Pyxis asks once we, mostly Eren, explain everything to him.

We're not having this conversation down in front of everyone. Instead, he brought the four of us up onto the wall to have this chat.

Eren nods, even though the Commander has his back faced toward us. "Yes, sir. Well, at least I think so."

"For the moment, there is no way to validate all of the claims you've made." He looks back at us and taps the side of his head. "For now, I'll just catalog them in here. With that said, I can usually tell the difference between the unctuous and the sincere, which is why I personally guarantee your safety."

We all let out our held in breaths. What a relief! I'm glad that there's at least someone that will believe us.

The Commander turns around, looking directly at me and Armin. "You're cadets Armin and Y/n Arlert, is that correct?"

We both salute with a nod. "Yes, sir!"

He continues. "You two mentioned a plan to harness this so-called 'Titan Ability' and then utilize your friend's power to retake the city. Do either of you believe it could work or were you just grasping at straws to try and save your hides?

Armin and I share a glance, before looking back at the Commander. "To be honest...both, Commander." I answer solemnly.

"Eventually, one of us were going to suggest that Eren, using his strength as a Titan, could lift that giant boulder. We could use it to block off the wrecked gate." Armin explains.

I hang my head. "That's the best we could come up with. In all honesty, we were thinking as we talked, since we didn't really have time to strategize. All we wanted to do was to get them to see that Eren's ability might provide a solution to the problem we all face."

The Commander only turns his back to us once again.

"Granted!" Armin exclaims. "We were pretty desperate to survive as well!"

"Desperate to survive, huh?" The Commander questions. "That's as credible a reason as any, cadets." He then pulls out a flask and takes a long sip from it, before walking back to us.

He crouches down in front of Eren. "What do you say, Jaeger?"

"Say, sir?" Eren questions.

"That hole." The Commander starts. "Do you think that you could plug it up, son?"

"Well, I-" Eren stammers. "I don't know. I mean, it's possible, but at the moment, I don't understand my power any more than you do. It's just...I sort of feel irresponsible giving you an answer, because I don't really know."

"Ah, yes. Of course. My apologies." The Commander apologizes. "I asked you the wrong question. Are you willing to, Jaeger, or not?"

Eren starts visibly sweating, as he looks the Commander straight in the eyes, who looks pointedly over his shoulder.

Eren looks back over his shoulder, then clenches his teeth and looks back at the Commander. "I'll do it. I don't know if I can seal that hole, but...I'll do it! I swear!"

The Commander grabs him by his shoulders. "Excellently said. You have the heart of a lion." He stands up and walks over to the edge of the wall. "Staff officers, hup! We have a plan to flesh out!"

I gasp softly. "Surely we're not moving forward with this as our linchpin strategy, right? Honestly, it was just something we tossed out there. We didn't have time to think it all through."

"I was thinking the same thing." Eren remarks, making Mikasa, Armin, and I turn to look at him. "Except, he seems like a guy who knows what he's doing. He has it all under control, like we can't see the forest for the trees, but he's got a bird's eye view."