⚡️ Chapter Twenty ⚡️

"You know, I was actually excited for today, but all we went over is formation for the upcoming expedition. The only excitement was when Charrette was trying to take Section Commander Ness' head cloth." I remark.

We're all currently on our way to the dining hall after a long day of studying the formation groups for the expedition. What an eventful first day...

"You'll be glad you took down all those notes once the expedition comes up though." Armin replies. "They'll be very helpful."

I nod. "Yeah. I know, but I was kind of hoping they'd let us choose our horses today. There are so many pretty horses in the stables."

"That might not happen until closer time for the expedition." Mikasa informs. "Hand-to-hand combat is more important than choosing horses. We should start combat soon."

I slump my shoulders a little. "I'm not saying it's not useful, but we did enough of it during our training. It always left me sore..."

"You were always taking your opponents down though." Armin notes.

I shake my head. "Not always. I was taken down many times before Mikasa allowed me to train with her. After that, I hardly got thrown to the-"

"Hey, Mikasa! Y/n! Armin!" A familiar voice calls out, making us turn around to see Eren.

"Eren!" The three of us exclaim. Armin and I were happy, but Mikasa sounded concerned.

"Man, am I glad to see you guys!" He greets with a smile, upon reaching us.

Mikasa grabs his hand. "Eren! Have they mistreated you in any way? Like, subjecting you to any cruel experiments or some sort of mental anguish?"

"No. Not at all." He answers.

Mikasa growls lowly. "That pipsqueak took things way too far. I will make him pay for it one day."

"Mikasa!" Armin exclaims quietly, grabbing her arm. "You shouldn't talk about Captain Levi like that. Especially since he's right over there." He points over at the stable entrance, where the captain is exiting.

"Let him hear me. I couldn't care less..." She replies.

"Good grief..." I sigh then look at Eren. "It's really good to see that you're doing okay."

"Oh, uhm, yeah." He replies, running his hand down the back of his neck. "You too. Is it just you three or-"

"Hey!" Connie exclaims. "Eren!"

"Long time no see!" Sasha adds. I look over my shoulder to see everyone but Jean.

"Oh. Hey, guys!" Eren greets. "You're all here! Woah...wait. If all of you are here, then does that mean-" The smile on his face drops. "You're saying that you guys all joined the Scouts?"

"Well, yeah." Connie answers. "Why else would we be here?"

"Heh." Eren chuckles softly. "Of course. So, then Jean, Annie, and Marco went to the Military Police?"

Just as he said that, Jean and the people he was leading, appear behind Eren and stop.

Eren quickly turns around. "Wait a second. You joined too?"

Jean just stares at him for a second. "Marco is dead."

I feel a sudden pang in my heart. I really would've prefered if Eren hadn't brought him up, but he's just curious about him...I don't blame him.

"He...what? Wait. What are you saying?" Eren asks. "Marco's not dead. You're just kidding around, right?"

"I wish I could tell you he died nobly or heroically." Jean replies. "The truth is, neither of us even know how he went out."