⚡️ Chapter Twenty Five ⚡️

"We made it. I can't believe it was so easy." Eren remarks quietly, as him, Mikasa, Armin, and I follow Annie down the quiet and empty street.

After finally getting Annie to help us out, the three of us went to go get Eren. Mikasa insisted on coming with us, just in case something serious happens.

"Hush..." Mikasa orders quietly.

Eren clicks his tongue. "The Military Police are at work...I'm surprised they bothered to show up at all."

"Let's just keep moving." Mikasa suggests.

"Hopefully, they haven't noticed my stand-in yet either." Eren continues, pushing Mikasa's comment aside. "It's not going to hold up." He looks a little angry, as his face screws up a little. "After all, Jean and I look nothing alike."

I look over at him. "It's close enough. Not to make you more mad, but you both have that same angry scowl all the time."

"And the same boulder-sized chip on your shoulder." Armin adds.

He looks at both of us with wide eyes. "Well, yeah, but I don't have his horse face."

I raise an eyebrow, confused. "Horse face? Jean doesn't have a horse face."

"Yes he does." Eren confirms. "But, I guess you don't see it, since you only seem to see the good in pe-"

"Hey." Annie says, interrupting Eren. "If I had refused to help you guys out, then what was your plan B for getting out of the wall?"

"We would've used our ODM gear and marched right through the checkpoint." Armin answers.

"That's stupid." Annie replies. "Why didn't you just avoid all this trouble in the first place? You could've escaped before reaching Stohess, right? I mean, why wait until now?"

"Well..." I start. "We figured this town's complex layout would've been able to squeeze a bit more time out of our body double ploy."

"Of course...a head-on assault is not advised." Armin continues. "So, as long as the convoy acts like it's following orders, then everyone keeps they're defenses down."

Annie nods just the slightest. "I see...it's a very good plan."

I look straight ahead and actually see the place we need to go. "Ah...there it is." I jog over to it, leaving the others behind me.

It's a lot of stairs that lead down to an underground tunnel system that we'll use to escape the wall.

"Here?" Annie questions, once reaching the four of us.

"Yes." Armin confirms. "We'll pass through here."

I start to walk down the stairs. "These stairs lead to an underground city's remains that was going to be built a long time ago."

"If we're right, it should also lead us to the vicinity of the outer gate." Armin adds, following me down with the others behind him.

"Nice work, you two...that's amazing." Eren compliments.

I look back at him. "Thank y-" I notice that Annie is still at the top and stop. "Annie?"

"What's the matter?" Eren asks, also looking up at her. "You're not afraid of dark, cramped spaces or anything...are you?"

She stares at us for a few seconds. "So what? What if I am? I wouldn't think a suicidal maniac, like you, to understand. You don't know what it is to be an ordinary girl, crippled with fear."

This doesn't seem expected of her...I mean, this is Annie we're talking about. I never expected her to be afraid of the dark. Then again, it might be because it's small and cramped...who knows.