⚡️ Chapter Twenty Three ⚡️

"Do you believe this bullshit?" Jean mutters below Armin and above me.

After tying our horses up, the squad leader told us to get in the trees and to slay any Titan that tried to get in.

We weren't exactly told why we have to be in the trees right now, but I assume it's something to do with the Female Titan.

"Am I the only one who wonders what happened to the whole logistics base thing or why we didn't go galloping on home after the female Titan showed up?" Jean asks rhetorically. "Why are we suddenly all playing birdhouse?"

"Jean, we've just got to trust the command-" I start.

"Oh...wait. No. I know the last one." He interrupts. "No Titans allowed in the center ranks nature retreat." He looks at the squad leader that commanded us to get in the trees. "Fool...he's got no idea what's going on."

"He'll hear you." Armin warns quietly.

"Why would I care?" Jean replies. "He's not explaining anything to the ones risking their lives. Look at him. He acts all calm and in control, but you can see he's petrified."

I look up at him over my shoulder. "What do you mean?"

"They say when officers in the field are deemed incompetent by their men they can be relieved of duty." He look as his blade. "Or in more extreme cases, they can die from serious stab wounds in the back. I suppose there's all kinds of accidents that could happen out here."

I stiffen at his words just now. Surely he isn't going to act upon his own words...right?

"Hold on..." Armin starts. "Whatever you're thinking of doing..."

Jean sighs. "Look. I'm just talking. The whole situation's screwed and I need to vent, alright? You don't have to be so stiff, Shortie. I'm not going to start a mutiny. Well, not yet anyway."

I relax my body. "You shouldn't even consider starting one to begin with."

"I'm not going to." He confirms and sighs again. "Just...answer me this. Both of you. Do you agree with this strategy or is it a bunch of crap?"

Armin lets out a small gasp, while I stiffen up again.

"It's just...you both look like you know something I don't." Jean adds.

I look up past Jean and at Armin, who is looking down at the moment. Do we have the same assumption that I got earlier? I know he has something on his mind, but...is it the same thing that's on mine?

"Well, uh..." Armin begins.

"Five meter Titan approaching!" The squad leader informs.

I look straight out in front of me and see the arriving Titan, which is probably bringing along more Titans behind it.

I look down and let out a quiet sigh. 'This strategy...there's got to be a solid reason as to why the commander used it..."

I feel my eyes widened, as I look back up. 'Unless...he knows about the Female Titan coming to the center rank for Eren. He probably does know and wants to confront her before she-'

"Armin! Y/n!" Jean yells. "Get out of your trances!"

"Hm?" Armin hums.

I shake my head. "Sorry...what is it?"

"Bare with me..." He starts in a wavering tone. "Our mission is to keep the Titans out, right?"

My eyes wonder down below us to see many Titans scratching at the tree to get us. I let out a small, frightened gasp. If they start climbing the trees, then I'm definitely going to have to move. I'm on one of the lowest branches.