Chapter 3

"Courage, dear heart."
-C.S Lewis

"He's such a dickhead! Who says shit like that?"

"Preece Logan, that's who." I sigh, flicking my eyes to my short roommate.

We both moved into an apartment a couple months after we turned eighteen and we had enough money to afford it. Prima, my favourite person, curls her dark hair in front of the full body mirror.

"I knew the damn tutor session was gonna end in disaster. Imagine what's gonna happen after two months." Prima shakes her head in annoyance and rolls her eyes. "I mean... Why does anyone even like him? He's such a fucking clown, I'm not even joking. Preece parades around school like he fucking owns the place."

Prima has always had a hatred for Preece after he messed around with her sister and she heard everything. And the poor girl has been traumatised ever since. I don't blame her. If Preece hooked up with my sister and I could hear every moan that left each of their mouths, I think I would have started to cry. Or throw myself out of the window. Probably both.

"I mean... I get that he's smart and that comes hand in hand with a big ego, but does he have to make me feel like shit in the process?"

"Exactly!" Prima turns around and faces me, her face flushed and her hair pinned neatly to her head. "You know what, fuck him. Don't give him the satisfaction of seeing that he hurt you, take it like a boss bitch." Prima grins at me before turning off the curler and placing it on the table. She wraps her hand around my arm as she struggles to slip on the heels that were by the door.

She stands up and faces me, a stern look on her face.

"And don't let that little crush you have on him cloud your judgement."

"I don't have a crush on him." It's true. "I never did have a crush on him. I just wanted to..."

"Fuck him?"

"Didn't everyone?"

"Not... really." Prima shakes her head and sits on the sofa, tying the clasp on her heels. "He was such a dick to everyone, most people saw right through him. They obviously had enough self-respect to know how little they meant to him. Remember the couple of months when he never showed up to school?"

"Kinda." I didn't really know where this conversation was going but I'm intrigued.

"He lost all his friends. His girlfriend broke up with him-"

"He had a girlfriend?"

"Yeah. Apparently he was cheating on her or something." Woah. "Anyways, the girlfriend broke up with him, he even moved out of his parents house for a little while as soon as he turned eighteen and dropped off the face of the Earth."

"That was only a couple of months ago... I wonder what happened."

"No one really knows, his new friends aren't as close to him as the previous ones were."

I take a minute to digest all this new information. I almost felt bad for him.

I'm smart as hell and you're just... not.

At least you know something.

Alana.

He didn't even know my fucking name. Who walks into a tutoring session without knowing the name of the student?

I admit... I'm a sensitive bitch. Even if I'm fairly okay at covering up my feelings (something I've learnt over the years and mastered), the damn words still hurt. As they say, 'You can choose your words but you can't choose the effect they have on a person.'

Some words hurt more than pain. Pain can be healed, words stay longer.

"Well, this got dark really quick, so let's just go." I grab Prima's hand and drag her out of the house with me.

Me and Prima were supposed to have dinner with her parents but after they cancelled, we decided to entertain ourselves by going to a party. Because parties are so damn fun. Yay.

Instantly upon arriving, I was approached by the one and only, Preece Logan. I couldn't deny that he looked good. Like fuckably good. But I wasn't even going to think about the sexual activities whirling around my head, I was going to enjoy this party without a second thought about Prick Logan. But just as I turn away, his smooth-as-silk voice penetrates through the room.

"Wait!" I instantly stop and I almost feel his hard body collide into me.

"What do you want, Prick?" I turn around to face him.

All he did was apologise to me- I didn't accept- and then I was on my way. I link arms with Prima and we make our way through the room, greeting people that we knew. I could feel Preece's cold stare on my back but I wasn't going to give into the temptation of turning around to face him.

"Oh! Lukey boo's here!" I laugh at Prima's cringe nickname.

"Are you ever not going to call him that?"

"He made it his life plan to embarrass me on the first day of college, so yes... I insist." Prima grumbles before dragging me to her friend.

They embrace in a hug before Luke pulls away and hugs me.

"How are you both doing? The world is treating you right?" Luke dropped out of college after a couple of months to fully invest himself into a music career that wasn't really going anywhere.

"It could be better." Prima mumbles, instantly bringing me back to when she was racially abused a couple days ago, purely based on the fact that she was Indian and brown.

Racists can eat Indian food and play their board games but can't stand it when an actual Indian is in their presence. It's like any other colour other than white is such an awful thing that you have to bring someone down.

"Oh no. Did someone hurt my Prima Donna?" Luke says, all the humour leaving his eyes.

I love their friendship. They swear to me that it's nothing more, and honestly, I believe them. They've always been at each other's throat but when it mattered, they stood up for each other more than anyone else.

"It was just a stupid racist thinking that he is the shit." Prima shrugs but I knew that it had shaken her up. "I mean... is being brown such a goddamn crime?"

Luke instantly steps towards her arms and wraps his arms around her shoulder so I let go of her hand.

"There's nothing wrong with your skin colour, Prima. These racist pieces of shits are just salty because they're pasty and white." Prima chuckles against his chest.

"You're white, Luke."

"That's right. And I'm probably the most basic white person with the most basic white name on the planet. You're unique, Prima. One in seven million."

Prima moves out of his grasp, smiling sweetly at him.

"What would I do without you?" She asks.

"You'd probably commit murder."

I leave them to their conversation and decide to walk through the party and find some of my other friends. My eyes landed on Preece who was trying to avoid the heated gazes of some of the women here. I don't know why he wasn't sucking their faces off, they're hot as fuck. Each and every girl here was stunning and most of them had their eyes on Preece. If I was him, I'd be having dozensomes every single damn day if this was the attention I was getting. I've got to hand it to him, he has a lot of willpower to avoid their line of sight. I know I would instantly fold if someone looked at me like they were looking at him. I could almost hear their thoughts.