Chapter 5

"We are all in the gutter,
but some of us are looking at the stars."
-Oscar Wilde

Why am I smiling like a giddy child? It certainly isn't Preece that's having this effect on me because I- with all my heart- hate him

Why am I smiling like a giddy child? It certainly isn't Preece that's having this effect on me because I- with all my heart- hate him. Things had changed since our last tutor session and I no longer see him as a sex object but as an A-class asshole. I'm sure he feels the same about me because I haven't exactly treated him like a human.

Now that I think about it, Preece has only insulted me but an insult is an insult. It doesn't matter the severity of the insult, or even the person delivering it. The only good thing about people insulting you first is that you can insult them next.

I take this as my chance to say something snarky back to Preece before he thinks he can get away with absolutely anything.

Before I can say anything, Preece opens his mouth. "You should smile more." He says, tilting his head at me.

I immediately frown because I'm not smiling for him. "Don't tell me what to do."

Preece sighs and turns the page of the textbook.

"I think it's better if I actually teach you something instead of arguing with you, don't you think?" He avoids my line of sight and focuses his attention on the textbook in front of him.

Just as I'm about to reply, my phone rings and Preece sighs in frustration when I reach out to answer it. However, when I see that it's my mother, I hesitate.

Last time I talked to her was a week after my dad's funeral. I think she understood that I needed to grieve on my own and needed my own time to come to terms with my dad's death.

I loved my dad. He was the purest soul on this Earth. He always radiated happiness and always found a way to bring a smile to anyone's face.

The death of any parent is an incalculable lasting blow. Because no one can ever love you like that again.

If only I had five more minutes with him before he passed away, I would have had time to tell him all the things I needed to say. I never got to tell him how much he meant to me or that he was the best that anyone could be. The last time I talked to him, I wish I had known. I would have told him that I loved him and I would have talked to him longer.

He was a man like no other. He nurtured me, taught me, shouted at me, kissed me, but most importantly, he loved me unconditionally.

When I used to read, he would buy me books spontaneously because he knew it would keep me in a good mood for the rest of the week. Unless it was an emotionally draining book and I locked myself in my room for a week.

Any man can be a father but it takes someone special to be a dad. My dad was the most loving, caring man who blessed this Earth with his graced presence.