Chapter 6

"Angry, and half in love with her,
and tremendously sorry, I turned away."
-F. Scott Fitzgerald

Leona is a hardcore football fan

Leona is a hardcore football fan. I've known her for the past week and not once has she mentioned that she has an obsession with the game. She knows everything about everyone; like a football thesaurus has taken control of her brain.

As soon as I had sat in her car, she started bombarding me with rules before we got to her apartment. You cannot speak to me during the game unless they're just kicking the ball back and forth. You definitely can't speak to me during repeats because that's really important. During half-time, you can speak but I only want chemistry-based words coming out of your mouth. My roommate doesn't like you. Don't talk to her.

I stopped listening halfway through because I knew that I was probably not going to follow her stupid rules.

As soon as Leona had unlocked the door to her apartment- room 9- she instantly ran to the TV remote and switched it on. I'd never seen her so excited.

She proceeded to shout at the referee whenever there was a foul, scream with joy whenever her team scored and groan with disappointment whenever the other team scored.

"Oh come on, ref! How was that a foul?!" She shouts from beside me, waving her arms in frustration.

"You know he can't hear you, right?" I chuckle, flicking through the textbook that I had nestled on my lap.

I still haven't had the chance to teach Leona anything, not even during half-time as she was on the verge of tears. Because her team was losing. By one goal.

"If I shout loud enough, he might."

"If you shout loud enough, I'll go deaf."

Leona steals a glance towards me before focusing back on the match in front of her. She was sitting on the sofa, her arms circled around her knees as she curled into a ball. A small frown was etched on her lips and a crease was painted on her forehead.

"If only."

"That hurt, Alana. How dare you say something so hurtful?" I press a hand to my heart. "Take it back."

"I'll take it back when you get my name right." Deciding to play with her, I close my textbook and slowly stand up.

Leona's frown deepened when I stood in front of the TV. Her eyes widened when she realised that I wasn't going to move. She was instantly on her feet, trying to look behind me. "Move!"

"Nuh uh, not until you take it back." I say, grabbing her shoulders and holding her in front of me so she has no view of the TV.

She glares at me before shoving against my chest. I don't budge.

"Move, you fucking idiot! I gave you rules!" She yells, crossing her arms over her chest.

"And I told you to take it back." I smile innocently, still holding her at arm's length.

"Fine. I'm sorry. Will you move now?"

I pretend to think it over before finally giving up and moving out of the way. Leona runs and sits on the ground in front of the TV, staring up at it like a child watching cartoons.

"I'm going to get you back for that." It was at this moment that Leona's roommate came into the room.

"What's all the commotio- oh. What is he doing here?" Her roommate walks into the kitchen and fills up a glass of water for herself.

"Chemistry." Leona replies, still engrossed in the football match.

"Why were you shouting?" When Leona doesn't answer, the dark haired girl turns towards me. "Why was she shouting?" I also stay quiet.

"I'm not allowed to talk to you." I mumble, sitting back on the sofa and opening my textbook.

"Ah. Leona already warned you about me." She slowly walks into the living room, crossing her arms over her chest.

"It wasn't exactly a warning, per se." Prima just stares at me, her eyes glaring daggers at me.

"You don't remember me, do you?" She says, chuckling quietly. I study her for a minute but her face doesn't give me flashbacks.

"Am I... supposed to?"

"My sister is Naya. Naya Shah."

My eyes widen in realisation when I remember what happened that night between me and- was her name Prima?

I had just fucked her sister and the next thing I hear is a loud screech and someone was tackling me to the ground when I tried to leave. She then proceeded to scream at me like I was the only one who was doing the devil's tango. I instantly stand up.

"It was a two-way thing, Prima."

"I could hear everything!"

"Well, when people have sex, they tend to make noise!"

"Well, you didn't have to be so loud!"

"Naya was much louder than me! And anyways, shouldn't she have gotten you out of the house before-"

"Aaaaaah!" My head instantly turns to Leona, who's fist bumping the air, kicking her legs out in front of her. "4-3! It's 4-3! We're winning!"

A small smile finds my face at Leona's reaction. I couldn't help enjoying the utter glee on her face, the way her eyes were wide with excitement and her cheeks were red with joy. When I turned around, Prima was walking past me, sitting on the sofa. I huff and sit on the armchair that was next to it.

"Oh, I'm so happy." Leona mumbles, falling back onto the floor, her arms spread out next to her.

"I can tell." I say, ogling my textbook from its place next to Prima.

"Shut up." Prima murmurs, picking the textbook up. A weird noise escaped from my throat and Prima glances at me, her eyebrows scrunched before her face lights up.

"Aww. Is this your precious?" She asks, bringing the book up to her face.

"No. Why would I care about a stupid book?" The words hurt me to say, but I couldn't let Prima hurt it.

"Oh? So you wouldn't mind if just-" I'm immediately out of my seat, ripping the book out of her hands and cradling it to my chest. "Seriously, Logan? A textbook?"

"What? Books are better than reality."

"Ditto." Leona says from the floor. Her eyes were still focused on the TV but she was now laying on her stomach with her feet dangling in the air. Her elbows rested on the ground and she cradled her face in her hands.

"You read as well?" I stammer in disbelief.

"There's a lot you don't know about me, Prick."

"I figured."

We end up watching the rest of the game and Leona finally decides to stop celebrating by dancing around the living room and actually study. We were on the small dining table because Prima was watching a movie and I knew Leona would get distracted. We were halfway through studying bond energy calculations when Prima's annoying voice rings out.

"Leona, I forgot to tell you that Daniel is coming over tonight."

The name brings a shiver down my spine. But I know it can't be him.

"Daniel?"

"Yeah, Daniel Glover."

Well, shit. It is him.