Chapter 37

"I must learn to be content with
being happier than I deserve."
-Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice

"-Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice

I can smell bread.

I stir in my sleep, slowly sitting up and rubbing my tired eyes. I lift the covers and realise that I'm completely naked. The events from last night came rushing back to me and I covered my face in shame.

Preece isn't next to me. A spike of sadness ran through me when I realised that he probably left some time last night. Then, I noticed his dress shirt on the floor. Well, there's a possibility that he left without it.

Still sore from getting completely pounded by Preece, I slowly get out of bed and pick up my briefs, slipping them on. Wincing in pain, I bend down and pick up Preece's shirt, slipping it on over my shoulders. I didn't have any energy to button it up, so I just held it against my body.

I quickly use the bathroom to pee and brush my teeth before leaving my bedroom. I walk into the kitchen, and there he is. Shirtless. Back muscles. Cooking. Preece turns around at the sound of my footsteps and smiles, waving the spatula in his hand at me. "Hello, darling." He says, and I can't deny that Preece's recent use of pet names has grown on me.

"Good morning." I yawn. "I like seeing you being all domestic." I say, and Preece scoffs, shaking his head. "What?" I laugh, and he flips the bread in the pan before placing it on the plate with three other French toasts in it.

"Don't get used to it." He says, handing me the plate. I take it and sit on the table just as Prima walks out of her room, rubbing her eyes. Oh, shit. Prima. Her one rule was that me and Preece don't fuck inside the flat whilst she was here. And, last night, I completely obliterated that rule. She looks at me and then Preece and back again. After rolling her eyes, she walks into the bathroom.

"Shit." I grumble, and Preece takes a piece of toast, taking a huge bite.

"What? Is it Prima? She's been in a mood since yesterday. She saw me and had every opportunity to say some shit to me, but she didn't." Preece says, and I tilt my head in confusion. Prima was fine a few days ago, and I haven't noticed anything different in her. "Listen, I'll talk to her, for you. I'll see if there's anything wrong with her." He says, and I nod my head.

I take some toast and take a bite, chewing it slowly. "She's probably mad about what happened last night." I say, looking up at him. He smirks and looks away, like it's a cute little secret. "Seriously, Preece. Because of what happened with you and her sister, she made it clear she didn't want us having sex in the same building as her."

"We weren't even that loud." He says, and I get flashbacks to a few hours, when I was literally screaming as Preece fucked me. "It's not about that." He says, and I raise my eyebrow at him.

"Are you kidding me?" I ask, my eyes widening in shock. "We were loud, Preece. Like, really, fucking loud." I say. "And, not everyone wants to hear something like that."

"Okay. Okay, I'll talk to her." Preece says, and I watch him get up and walk to the fridge, taking out some milk. He grabs a cup and pours some in before bringing it to me.

"Aw, thank you." I gush, even though he only brought me a glass of milk. "That's really cute. See? You can be domestic." I tell him and he rolls his eyes. I grin and laugh as I watch him grumble something under his breath.

The bathroom door opens and Prima walks out, rushing straight into her room. I clear my throat and follow after her, leaving Preece with the toast he made. I knock on her door and walk in, closing the door behind me.

Prima is on her bed, staring at the ceiling. I sit next to her, circling my arm around her shoulder. Prima leans into me, and I kiss the top of her head. "What's wrong?" I ask her. "Are you mad at me?" I ask her, and I feel her shake her head.

I look at her and wipe away some escaped tears from her eyes. "No." She mumbles, wrapping her arms around her body. "Why would I be mad at you?"

"Because..." I hesitate. Prima obviously isn't upset about me and Preece having sex, so it must be something else. There's no point bringing it up and making her even more upset. "Preece stayed the night?" I say, confused.

Prima chuckles and shakes her head. "I, err..." Her body shakes and I'm even more confused than before. "I got accepted to Columbia University." She says, quickly.

"What?" I asked, shock running through me. "Isn't Columbia University in the US?" I ask, and I finally understand. Prima is moving out. She's going to the United States, and I'm staying here. She's leaving.

"Yeah, it's in the US. I'll be one of their international students. It's- it's a once in a lifetime opportunity to study abroad and meet new people, you know?" She says, but I'm still in a state of shock.

Me and Prima have known each other forever. She's been there for me through thick and thin. She knows exactly what I'm feeling and understands when I'm not in a good mood. She was there for me when I lost my dad. She was there for me when my relationship with my mum broke down. She was there for me whilst I was mourning. And now, she's leaving.

And, hell, I can't blame her. It's a huge opportunity. I would hate it if she let it go because of me. "You should go." I tell her, nodding my head. I slowly stand up and Prima stares at me like I've grown a head.

"What?"

"I'm saying you should go. I don't want you to give up an... incredible chance to do something with your future because I'll be alone. Because, I won't." I tell her, and she shakes her head.

"I don't want to leave you by yourself." She says, still shaking her head. "You've got problems with your mum, and I can't just get up and leave when you have nobody-" She says, and I place my hands on her shoulder, sitting her back down on the bed.

"I fixed things with my mum at the wedding." I lie through my teeth, mentally preparing myself for what I'm about to say. "I know it was the alcohol that made her act like that." I say. "We sorted it out, now. That doesn't mean I'm going to see her everyday, but it's on track."

"Alcohol is not an excuse-"

"It's good enough for me, Prima." I lied. "I just want my mum back."

Her expression softens and she stands up, bringing me in for a hug. Her arms wrap around my neck and I hear her crying. "This doesn't mean I'm going." She mumbles, rubbing my back. "I'll think about it, alright?"

"Don't let this opportunity pass you by, okay? Don't hold yourself back because of me." I tell her and she nods her head. I smiled tightly before leaving her room. I wipe my tears and my eyes fall on Preece.

"How'd it go-"

"I'm gonna go have a shower." I interrupt him, running my hands through my hair and rushing into the bathroom.