Chapter 46

"We dream in our waking moments,
and walk in our sleep."
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

"-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

My heart breaks for Leona. The pain that she's been through in the past few months, I couldn't fathom it. Losing a loved one is one thing, but a parent? I don't think I'd survive.

I stayed the night with Leona, and now I'm laying on her stomach and her fingers are running through my hair. It's the day that Prima leaves for the USA, and I don't think Leona is ready to say goodbye to her life-long friend. She was quiet the whole day yesterday, and now, she will barely say a word. I look up at her, and she smiles down at me, but the smile doesn't reach her ears.

"What's wrong?" I ask her, and she shakes her head, her fingers no longer moving. I lean up, half my body on top of hers. I look down at her, my eyebrows scrunching. "Well, obviously something's wrong. You're not talking, and your mouth is usually louder than a fucking elephant." I say, and she glares at me. I grin and press a kiss to her cheek.

"It's Prima." Leona sighs, looking up at the ceiling. "I mean... she's my best friend, and after today, I don't know how long it'll be until I see her again." She says, and I move off of her, laying on the bed next to her.

"You know, change is a part of life. It's not the greatest thing ever, but sometimes you just have to grin and bear it." I tell her, turning to my side to face her. Leona, too, turns, and we're facing each other. She has a small smile on her face, but her eyes are filled with despair and heartache.

"I don't want to see her go. As much as I'm happy for her, I just... I can't, you know?" She asks, and my mind takes me back to the day I found out about Meredith and Daniel. I remember being so mad at him for betraying me because he was my best friend. We did everything together and we grew up together and he threw it all away for a girl.

"Friends are overrated." I sigh, looking up at the ceiling and placing my arm underneath my head. "You and Prima? You're more than friends, you're sisters. And that bond can never be broken." I tell her, and I feel her leg swing over my own. Her head is on my chest and I'm running my hand through her hair and she's sighing and a small smile is on her face.

"What would I do without you?" She whispers, and I chuckle, pressing my lips to the top of her head.

***

Me, Leona and Prima are at the train station. Prima is taking a train into the city so she can get to the airport. I offered to drive her, but she refused, saying that she couldn't stand being in a confined space with me for too long. Deep down, I know she loves me.

Leona is hugging Prima, her arms around her neck. They've been like this for the past few minutes, and I'm leaning against the pillar, waiting for them to finish their goodbyes.

"I'm gonna miss you so much." I hear Leona cry, and it makes me a little sad to see her so upset. "Make sure you call me whenever you're free, okay? I wanna know everything." Leona says, and Prima nods her head.

"Of course I will. Leona, I'm gonna miss you." Then, she looks at me. "Weirdly, I'm gonna miss you, too." She grimaces, and Leona lets go of her, looking back at me. She laughs, wiping her tears from her cheeks.

"Feeling's mutual." I say, before walking over. Prima puts her hand out for me to shake and I whack it away, pulling her in for a hug. She gasps and freezes before I feel her body loosen and she awkwardly wraps her arms around me.

"Aww." Leona says, from behind us. "I always knew you two would become best friends."

"Erm, I wouldn't go that far." Prima says, pulling away from me. I tilt my head, and Prima faces me. She smiles tightly. "Look after her for me, will you?" She asks, and I nod my head.

"You know I will."

Prima swallows, fighting the tears in her eyes before she turns back to Leona. She reaches out and takes her hand. "I love you to the moon and back, Leona. You'll forever be my favourite person."

Leona nods her head quickly, tears falling down her red cheeks. "I'll visit you as much as I can." She whispers, and they embrace one last time before Prima slowly lets go of her hand, turns around and walks away.

Leona approaches me, hugging my arm. "Do you think she'll turn around?" Leona asks as Prima steps onto the train platform.

I sigh, looking down at her before back up to Prima. "Nah." I say, and Prima walks into the train and turns out of sight. Leona presses her cheek into my shoulder and I'm smiling because she's starting a new chapter today, and I can't wait to go on that journey with her.

The train sets off and Leona gasps for air in between her tears, and it isn't supposed to be a sad day. Prima is going to University in a new country, and Leona is healing. She's healing from her past and she's beginning her future and she's finally living in the present.

We're walking towards my car and she doesn't let go of me. Even when I try to coax her into the car, she grumbles and I feel her shake her head against my arm. "Leona." I say, and she finally looks up at me. Her eyes are red and sore, and I sigh before lifting my spare arm and wiping under her eyes with my thumb.

Leona's eyes flutter to a close, and I wrap my arms around her, pulling her in for a hug. "You'll be okay." I whisper, and she shakes her head. "Yeah, you will." I told her.

"I wanna go and get something to eat." She mumbled into my chest, and I grinned. "Can we go and buy a McDonald's?" She asks.

"Sure, my darling." I say, kissing the top of her head. "Let's go and feed you, okay?"

 "Let's go and feed you, okay?"