Chapter 12

It started to rain as soon as we made it to the stadium

It started to rain as soon as we made it to the stadium. In a weird way, this made the atmosphere of the game much greater. Today was actually the first time I've been to watch a live football match. My dad always promised to take me when I was older, but we never got around to it. I guess that this was my way of fulfilling all the dreams I wished to live with him.

Preece sat next to me in the middle of the seating area, his eyes scanning the stadium in awe. His mouth hung open slightly as he looked around at the lights and the colours and the players. Because my phone was in my hand, I quickly snapped a picture of him. He looks over to me, a small frown on his face.

"We have to sit here for two hours?" He asks, crossing his arms over his chest.

"Yes." I say, but my eyes were focused on the beautiful game in front of me. "Trust me, it'll be the best two hours of your life." I say, leaning up in my seat slightly to get a better view of the players. "I kinda thought you liked football!"

"Nah!" He shouts over the chanting of the fans. "I'm more of a tennis guy." I cackle.

"Tennis? It's so bor-"

"No, it isn't! I'm sorry, and kicking a ball around for ninety minutes is fun, is it?"

I shake my head. "I wasn't going to say what you thought I was going to say."

"Yes, you were." Preece continues to speak, but I'm focused on the game as the players get closer and closer to the goal. The striker pulls his leg back... hits the ball... the goalkeeper jumps... and...

"GOALLL!" The whole stadium erupts into cheers and chants, jumping up and down, gripping onto each other. Without thinking, I jump up and wrap my arms around Preece's neck. I hold onto him as I celebrate the winning goal, leaping and screaming with joy.

Oh, how I wish my dad could have seen that goal. He would have loved it. The cleaness of it, the beauty of the shot, how easy the striker had made it look. It was flawless.

I feel Preece's arm around my waist as he cheers with me, cupping around his mouth with one hand. I knew he secretly enjoyed the game. A wide grin was on his face, and his eyes were wide with joy. Tennis, what's that?

***

The rain was even worse when we left the stadium with an incredible buzz from a win fresh on our minds. The traffic wasn't moving, and it got to the point where Preece could barely see out of his windscreen.

"I can't drive in this weather." He mumbles, leaning forward and squinting his eyes to get a better view. "We won't get home if the rain keeps coming."

"What do we do?" I ask, frustrated that my temporary high might be coming to an end if I get stuck in the rain. "There's still an hour's drive."