Chapter 33

"I only know how to exist
when I'm wanted."
-Mary Lambert

I can hear banging

I can hear banging.

I turn in my sleep, trying to ignore it, but it's still there. Banging. Banging. Banging. It takes me a while to realise that it's not just any banging, but it's the front door.

I jump out of bed, rushing out of my room and to the living room. Prima is out of her room, rubbing her eyes in tiredness. "What time is it?" She mumbles, and I glance at the clock.

"It's almost six." I say. "Are you expecting someone?" I ask her, and she shakes her head. Sighing, I open the front door.

"Alana!" He yells, throwing his arms around me. Preece clings onto me, his head on my shoulder.

"Woah." I say, struggling to hold on to him. I turn to face Prima, whose mouth is open in shock. I shrug my shoulders, and Prima yawns, laying on the sofa and closing her eyes. I roll my eyes, tapping Preece on his back.

"Are you drunk?" I ask him, and he looks at me, a wide grin on his face.

"Nope." He says, but his bloodshot eyes tell a different story.

"Okay." I say. "Let's get you home, shall we?" I ask, and Preece shakes his head, holding tighter onto me.

"No." He grumbles, his face in my neck. "I want to stay here with you." Then, his hands are around my waist and he's lifting me up. I swat the front door closed as he walks off, towards my room.

"Erm... what are you doing, Preece?" I ask him, placing my hands on his shoulders to stay balanced. He looks at me, sticking his tongue out and licking my nose.

"Boop." He says, before throwing himself onto the bed, me on top of him. I slowly pry myself out of his arms, and Preece frowns, trying to get a grip on my waist again. "Where are you going?" He whines, crossing his arms over his chest like an impudent child.

I open my mouth, not knowing what to say. I shake my head and Preece mocks me. I chuckle a little before climbing onto my bed next to him. "What are you doing here? Why are you drunk?" I ask him. I cross my legs underneath me. Preece moves a little, resting his head on my lap and wrapping his arm around my back.

"Because I missed you." He slurs, and I scrunch my eyebrows in confusion. "And, I really, really wanted to see you." He mumbles. Subconsciously, my fingers run through his fluffy hair, and I hear him hum in approval as his eyes close. His arms are tight around me, and I don't think I would be able to move, even if I wanted to.

"Really? Why's that?"

"Because, Alana..." He says, turning his head to look up at me. "We're not right for each other." He stammers, the drunkenness in his voice is as clear as day. "But... but, I want it to be right." Then, like he didn't just say all of that, he lifts my nightgown and pulls it over his head, blowing a raspberry on my stomach. I squeal, giggling as he lifts himself up and falls on top of me.

"I wanna kiss you." He murmurs and his hands are on either side of my head, and he lowers his head, planting a soft kiss on my lips. I push him off me, forcing him to get into my bed. He protests, but I finally end up pulling the covers over him and lulling him to sleep.

I can hear his soft snores as I slip under the covers myself, face away from him and try to sleep.

***

I'm woken by the sound of a loud groan, as something slaps my face. My eyes open to see Preece's arm across my face. I turn to see him sitting up, rubbing his eyes. He grabs his pillow, covering his eyes with it.

I clear my throat, and Preece drops the pillow, looking over at me. "Hello." He says, and I send him a tight smile before getting out of my bed.

"Wanna tell me what happened last night?" I ask him, placing my hands on my hips. Preece groans, falling back onto the bed. He rubs his eyes, before looking at me.

"You tell me. I don't remember. How did I even get here?" He asks, and I sigh before leaving the room to get him a drink of water and a tablet.

I go back into my room and hand it to him, crossing my arms over my chest. Preece throws the tablet into his mouth before downing the glass of water.

"You got here at six in the morning." I tell him, and his eyes widen with surprise. "And, you didn't want to go home so I let you sleep here." I say. Preece nods his head slowly, a confused expression of his face. "Now, do you wanna tell me why you were smashed so early in the morning?"

Preece groans, rubbing his eyes. "Couldn't sleep." He mumbled.

I raise my eyebrow. "So, your solution was to... get drunk?" I ask, genuinely confused.

"I wanted to talk to you." He says.

"About what?" I ask and Preece opens his mouth before hesitating and shaking his head.

"Nothing." He says, running his fingers through his unkempt hair. "Nothing."

"You wanted to talk to me about nothing?" I say, and Preece shakes his head before stumbling out of my bed. He stretches, and the bottom of his hoodie lifts, revealing his v-line. I gulp, even though I've seen him naked many times. He still has a huge effect on me. His body still pulls me in.

"No, Alana." He mumbles in between his yawns. "I wanted to tell you something, but I've changed my mind."

"Why?"

"Because..." He says, his eyes scanning my face. There's a small frown on his face, and I come to terms with the fact that me and Preece can never be more. Not that I want that. But... maybe it was something that was plaguing the back of my mind. It's something that I may have thought about once or twice when I was in bed, trying to sleep. "Because, I'm not ready to." He says, and I nod my head slowly, licking my bottom lip.

"Okay." I say, dropping my arms to my side. "That's fine. But, if you're done, I really need to shower, so..." I move and open my bedroom door for him to leave. Instead he just looks at me, a sad look in his eyes. I see him stuff his hands into the pockets of his joggers and his hair falls onto his forehead. Quite frankly, he looks like shit.

He takes a few slow steps until he's next to me, his body inches away from mine. I force myself to look up at him and not be a chicken about it. "We promised no feelings." He says, and I nod my head. Preece licks his bottom lip, his eyes scanning my face.

Then, he bows his head and walks out of my room. He doesn't look back as he opens the door to my flat and he doesn't glance my way as the door closes behind him. I breathe a sigh of relief- or annoyance- and grab my bathrobe before making my way into the bathroom to take a much needed shower.