Chapter 15

"You are my sun, my moon,
and all my stars."
-E.E. Cummings

Preece leads me into his room, handing me a glass of water

Preece leads me into his room, handing me a glass of water. I slowly take it, eyeing it suspiciously. "You haven't poisoned it, have you?" I ask, sitting on his bed and taking a drink. Preece raises his eyebrow, crossing his arms over his chest and leaning on the wall. I clear my throat and place the glass on the bedside table.

"Do you wanna tell me what's up?" He asks, looking straight at me. I look up at him and shake my head.

"No, I don't." I say to him. Preece rolls his eyes and moves to sit next to me. He knocks his shoulder into mine, grinning down at me.

"It's me, isn't it? You're mad at me." He says, raising his eyebrow at me. Preece crosses his arms over his chest and clears his throat, and I look up at him, a small frown on my face. "Come on, just admit it. I'll apologise and then we'll be done with this, okay?" He asks, before standing up again and moving to the door of his room. He leans against the frame, crossing his feet at his ankles.

"I'm not mad at you anymore, Preece." I say, exasperated. I shake my head and press my fingers into my temple, trying to get rid of the headache I had. Preece just stands there, looking super attractive and hot and I want to wrap my hands around his neck and choke him. In a non-sexual way. I hear him chuckle, and I feel myself falling over the edge. I've had it with Preece questioning me and thinking he's superior and his cocky attitude. "Fine." I huff. "Yes, I'm mad at you." I say. "I was crying because you piss me off and you make me want to rip out my hair." I stand up. "I'm sick of you constantly making a point of how dumb I am and thinking you are the shit."

Preece's smile slowly drops and he's just looking at me, a confused look on his face.

"And I am sick of you not calling me by my name!" I yell, exasperated from having to repeat myself all the time.

"But-" He tries to say, taking a step towards me.

"Trust me, it's not the greatest feeling in the world when the smartest guy I know tells me I'm too dumb to be in the same college as him!" I yell. I may not be telling the truth about why I was crying, but I'm telling the truth about what I truly feel about him. Yes, I may be sexually attracted to him, but he doesn't need to know that.

"It was a joke." He says, stepping closer to me with every word. 

"It didn't feel like a joke." I tell him, not moving. I refuse to submit to him, I refuse to prove to him that he sets every fibre of my being on fire. 

"Stop being so fucking sensitive, Alana. Learn to take a joke, sometimes." He's inches away from me now. I find my feet moving backwards unintentionally.