Chapter 27

"Show me a hero,
and I'll write you a tragedy."
-F. Scott Fitzgerald

My heart was racing faster than usual when it came to Leona

My heart was racing faster than usual when it came to Leona. She called me, in distress, and I had snapped into action. The worst case scenarios had run through my head, and the only thing to help was seeing her and knowing that she is okay.

I park outside the house of the address she gave me and jump out of my car, and I don't bother closing the door behind me before I'm rushing into the house.

I don't even know whose house it is. I look around, and I'm running into the kitchen. There's broken glass on the floor, and... Oh, God. Blood. And the trail led to a body slumped against a door. She is behind that door.

Without hesitation, I run up to the passed out body and drag it away from the door. The uncanny resemblance to Leona doesn't go unnoticed. I try to open the door, but it's locked. My fist bangs on the door.

"Alana?" I say. "It's me, open the door." I hear some scrambling and some sniffling before the click of the door. Quickly, I open the door and my eyes meet hers.

Instantly, Leona wraps her arms around my neck, pulling me in for a hug. I wrap one arm around her back, stroking her hair with the other. I feel her tears on the skin of my neck and I'm lifting her into my arms and I'm carrying her out of what I assume is her childhood home.

I slowly place her into the passenger seat of my car, and jump into the driver's seat. Leona instantly breaks down, her face in her hands. I pull her towards me, running my fingers through her hair.

"It's okay." I whisper, kissing the top of her head. "Hey." I say, and Leona lifts her head up. Blood was splattered on the top of her head, and a few strands of her hair were damp and soaked with her own blood. My breath shook as I reached out for a tissue and dabbed at her cut. Leona winced and I mumbled an apology before using my pinkie finger to move her hair out of her eyes.

"Thank you." She murmured, her fingers wrapped around my wrist. I nod my head, smiling at her.

"What happened?" I ask her. Leona gulps, threading her fingers together.

"I'll tell you. But, can you drive, first? I don't wanna spend more time here, than I have to." She says. I nod my head before turning the key that's already in the ignition and set off down the road. "That's the home I grew up in." She starts. "my dad died a few months ago, and it's only my mum left. I don't have any siblings, it was just the three of us." Her breath is shaky and she picks at her nails, staring out of the windscreen.

"I'm sorry about your dad." I say, glancing at her. "I can't imagine what you're going through." I tell her, sincerely. Leona nods her head tightly, her throat bobbing.

"Anyways, after he died, I... shut my mum out. I thought she didn't understand what I was going through, and I forgot that she was mourning him, too. I went to see her, and we agreed to have dinner. But... she was drunk when I got there." Leona says. It was her mum that was passed out on the floor. The uncanny resemblance wasn't a coincidence. "And, she started attacking me. She was saying... some weird shit, and kicked me to the ground. As soon as I locked myself in the laundry room, I called you." Leona finishes, and I can't help it when I reach out and take her hand in mine.

"I'm sorry she did that to you." I say, turning onto my road. "Tell me what I can do to make you feel better."

"Unless you can bring my dad back to life, I doubt there's much you can do." She says, sadly, and I find myself frowning at her words. "I just wanna have a bath, and get this blood off of me." Leona looks at me, a sad smile encasing her face. I nod my head in understanding. Getting out of the car, I go around and open her door. Leona wraps her legs around my waist and her arms around my neck and I pick her up, carrying her out of the car and into the house.

It's a bit of a struggle to walk up the stairs with Leona in my arms, but I manage it. I kick the door to my room open with my foot and slowly lower Leona onto my bed. She looks up at me, a small smile on her face. "I'll run you a bath, okay?" I tell her and she nods her head. She lifts up her hand, pressing her fingers to the cut on her forehead, wincing when she feels pain. "I'll get some cream for that." I say. "And a plaster."

When I'm certain she's okay, I leave the room and walk into the bathroom, plugging the sinkhole and opening the water. The first aid box was in the cabinet near the sink and I opened it, pulling out a plaster and some antiseptic cream. I place them on the edge of the bathtub. Turning off the tap, I squeeze in some bubble mixture and walk back to my room.

Leona was laying on my bed, staring up at the ceiling. I clear my throat, and her head turns towards me. She sits up and I grab my towel from behind the door and hand it to her. "Do you need help?" I ask her and she chuckles before shaking her head.

"I think I'll manage." She says, before she squeezes my hand and walks out of my room. I watch her walk over to the bathroom and when she locks the door behind her, I walk to my wardrobe and pull out a shirt and a pair of shorts for Leona to wear. I pull off my hoodie and hand it up before slipping out of my joggers and crawling under the covers of my bed.

Leona walks back in fifteen minutes later, a towel wrapped around her body and her wet hair cascading down her back. A plaster was covering her cut. I sit up, placing my phone on the bedside table. I gesture towards the clothes I had placed on the end of the bed and Leona walks over, dropping her towel. My mouth drops at the sight of the small bruises lining her stomach.

"Damn." I mumble, under my breath. "She did a number on you, huh?" I say, and I think it was the wrong thing to say, but when Leona laughs, I breathe a sigh of relief.

"Yeah." She chuckles, her hand stroking her stomach. "She's never hit me before." She says, and I find I can't say anything as she slips my shirt over her head. The shorts are on next and then she uses the towel to dry her hair. I've always imagined Leona in my clothes, but not under these circumstances.

"Come here." I say, moving up and allowing Leona to crawl up next to me in bed. Her arm goes around my bare stomach, her fingers softly stroking my skin. I kiss the top of her head and Leona rests her head on her chest. The dampness of her hair itches, but I ignore it. "I'm sorry about what happened to you, today."

Leona hums, lifting her head up. "Thank you for helping me." She murmurs, her hand moving up to stroke my cheek. "As much as I hate to admit it, you're really great." Leona says. I grin, wrapping my arms around her waist. "Don't let it get to your head." She laughs, leaning down and lightly pressing her lips to mine.

I cup the back of her head, kissing her softly. "Your welcome, Alana." I mumble against her lips.