Chapter 40

"I have for the first time
found what I can truly love.
I have found you."
-Charlotte Brontë, Jane Eyre

"-Charlotte Brontë, Jane Eyre

"That was so fun." I exclaim as both me and Preece walk into his house. He holds the door open for me, letting me walk on first. His hand is on my back and it gives me a sense of comfort knowing that he's so close to me.

I've realised lately that he's touching me a lot more. He's more intimate and there's a difference in the air between us.

He leads me into the living room, before sitting down on the couch. I join him and Preece pulls me into his side.

"I have to tell you something." I mumbled, my mind wandering back to my problem with Prima. If she moves out and goes to Columbia University, I won't be able to afford the rent of the flat by myself. The last thing I want to do is move back in with mum, especially with the tension brewing between us.

"Yeah?" Preece says, lightly running his hand through the bottom of my hair. "Talk to me."

"It's about Prima." I say. "She's got an offer at the University of Columbia." I say. "And, if she goes... then, I'll have to either get an extra job to afford the rent, or... move back home." I say, and Preece stiffens from beside me.

"Do you want to go back home?" He asks, and I slowly shake my head, closing my eyes and leaning my head on his shoulder. Preece's arm is around my shoulder and his thumb is rubbing my collarbone. "We'll figure something out." He says.

"I'll figure something out." I say. "I'm only telling you for the sake of telling you. You don't need to help me." I told him.

"Whatever you say." He laughs, before turning me to face him. "Now, there's a party tonight." He says. "And, I want you to come with me as my date." He tells me. I sit up straight at the word, date.

"Your date?" I ask, and Preece nods his head, grinning at me.

"Come on, it'll be fun. We'll hang out, have a few drinks and then come home before we get too drunk." He says, and I nod my head.

"Okay." I say, before scanning my outfit of a simple sweater and a skirt. "But, I can't go like this." I say.

"That's fine. I'll take you home and you can meet me at the party for seven. Seems like a plan."

"Absolutely." I grin.

***

I pick out a silky, white dress that hugs my body and ends midway down my thigh. The spaghetti strap ends at my chest, not exposing too much of my cleavage. I check the time and leave, jumping into my car and driving to the address that Preece told me.

Outside the party, the driveway and garden was filled with drunk people, all stumbling around, clinging onto each other. I dodge them as I make my way inside, looking for Preece.

When I don't see him on the ground floor, I make my way upstairs. He's not in any of the rooms, so I take out my phone and just as I'm ready to call him, I see him near the bottom of the stairs, talking to a girl.

She had strawberry-blonde hair that reached the bottom of her back and an upside-down smile that she directed towards Preece.

He couldn't look away from her, like her beauty was so mesmerising. Like she held the secret to the world in her eyes. However, there was a small frown on Preece's face and his arms were crossed over his chest in a closed off way.

Slowly, I walk down the stairs and sneak past them, making my way to the drinks bar. I grab a clean cup and pour in some alcohol, leaning against the counter and watching Preece talk to some girl.

I press the cup to my lips, taking a sip. This isn't jealousy, I tell myself. I have no reason to be jealous, he's just having a conversation. With a girl who's twenty times prettier than me, and looks like she'd rather rip off Preece's clothes than stand there and talk to him.

Then, Preece's eyes fell into me. His eyes widen and his gaze drags over my body and the dress hugging my curves. His lip twitches and he takes a sip from the red cup in his hand.

I glared at him and he smirked, shaking his head slightly. His attention that was previously on the girl in front of him is now fully on me, and he's not planning on breaking eye contact any time soon.

The girl turns around. When she sees me, a small smirk encases her face and I frown in confusion. Then, her hand is on Preece's arm and she struts away, her hips swaying.

Preece looks at the ground before walking over to me, one hand in his pocket. He's standing opposite me, a few inches away. I sit on the barstool and I feel his hand lightly caress the slide of my thigh.

"Who was that?" I try to ask casually, but Preece just smirks.

"Why? Are you jealous?" He asks and I shake my head and frown. "That was Meredith." He says, and I sit up straighter.

"It was? Why was she here?" I ask, and Preece shrugs his shoulders. Now, both his hands are on my thighs, and I shiver from the feel of his skin on mine. It's like his touch burns my body and soul.

"I don't really care, Alana." He says, now standing in between my legs. "All I care about is right in front of me." He says, and my heart flutters. Butterflies erupt in my stomach, and I try to hide the blush on my cheeks. Then, Preece lifts his cup. "This drink." He says, and I huff, slapping his arm lightly.

Preece laughs, and I grip his collar, pulling him forward and kissing him. He's a bit taken aback, but his hands travel up my thighs and rest on my waist as I circle my arms around his neck and pull him closer, slipping my tongue into his mouth.

He hums against my lips, smiling slightly. A small giggle leaves my throat and Preece squeezes my hips, his thumb creeping under my dress, slightly.

No one was bothered by our burst of PDA, and I wasn't concerned if someone was watching us. I wanted the whole world to know that I belong to Preece, and he belongs to me.

Even though we haven't really taken the next step in whatever this is between us, at the end of the day, I'm his and he is mine. Forever.