Chapter 35

"Not all those who wander
are lost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

Me and Preece arrive at the wedding venue in complete silence

Me and Preece arrive at the wedding venue in complete silence. We didn't exchange one word, and I didn't stop his arm going around my waist as we walked in.

It's been four months since dad died, and his cousin held off the wedding for as long as she could, but it was time for her to marry the love of her life. Everyone at this wedding knows how dad died. They all know, and most have shunned me for what I did.

The fair few who have continued to talk to me, including the cousin, are all here. I gather myself as I open the door to the wedding hall. Suddenly, all eyes are on me and Preece. Even though some people's faces are filled with disapproval or shock, I focus on those who are happy to see me.

I find two seats at the back and sit down with Preece, waiting for the bride's arrival. Crossing one leg over the other, I feel Preece's arm over the back of my seat, and I soften up, letting myself enjoy his closeness. His body is tilted slightly towards me and I feel his breath on my ear.

"You okay?" He whispers, and I nod my head. My eyes focus on my mum, who's a few seats in front of me, her eyes scanning the crowd. They finally land on me, and she freezes. My mind takes me back to that night, and I look away, forcing myself to focus on Preece, beside me.

Without thinking, I take his hand into mine and mess with the ring on his pinkie finger that's never been there before. I feel his gaze on the side of my head, but I ignore it, resting his hand on my thigh.

He squeezes a little, and I close my eyes, resting my head on his shoulder.

Then, music erupts into the room and the door opens. Weirdly, the bride and groom walk out together, breaking tradition. My cousin once removed walks out, a wide smile on her face. Her eyes land on me and she winks. I grin at her, and she continues to walk until they're completely opposite the officiant. Not me or my family are religious, so all of our weddings don't have a priest.

Preece squeezes my hand once more as the vows are read out, and my mum doesn't look at me again. I guess, in the back of my mind, I'm quite aware of her presence and I'm watching her through the corner of my eye.

***

Once the ceremony was over, I had lost Preece and I was pouring myself a glass of champagne. As soon as my lips touch the glass, I feel her presence behind me. My body freezes, and I hear her clear her throat.

"Leona." She says, and I slowly turn around. Where is Preece? He came to the wedding for this specific situation and he's not even here.