Chapter 7

"And a softness came from the starlight
and filled me to the bone."
-W. B Yeats

Another shiver runs down my spine when I hear his name

Another shiver runs down my spine when I hear his name. I thought he left college after what happened but I guess he's still there and I just haven't had the pleasure of running into him.

"Oh, okay. I shall be out of your hair when he arrives. Just give me a heads up." Leona turns back towards me and pulls the textbook towards herself. I pull it away from her.

"Okay, because Br-Br bonds are weaker than Cl-Cl bonds and H-Br bonds are weaker than H-Cl bonds, what happens to the energy?" I ask Leona, my voice slightly shaky.

"Can I have a clue?- Preece, are you listening?" Her hands waves in front of my face and I'm brought back to reality.

"Yeah, sorry." I mumble. "Um... there's less energy needed to break the bonds. Why is that?" I mumble, running my hands over my face, pushing my hair back from my forehead.

"Because Teletubbies is the greatest show to exist."

"Yeah, that's corre- wait, what?"

Leona stares at me, a look of wonder casing her face. "You're not listening."

Fuck. I hate getting flashbacks from things I don't want to remember.

"You're not listening to me!" She screamed.

I screamed back but she didn't want to hear me. So I stayed quiet.

"I am listening, Alana. Answer the question." I mutter, rubbing my cheek.

There's a moment of silence before Leona speaks up again. "Are you okay?"

My eyes lift to meet hers and I find myself unable to look away. She has the deepest blue eyes I've ever seen. They're the kind of blue that startles you everytime you look into them and the kind of blue that makes you ache for them to look at you again. They were the bluest of oceans and I'd gladly drown in them.

"Preece? Are you okay?"

I'm way too good at pretending to be okay. I wanted to say it. I wanted to make my thoughts heard, but I couldn't. Leona doesn't know anything about me and I'm not going to burden her with my fucked up thoughts. "Yeah. I'm fine, Alana." I smirk at her, masking my pent up sadness. "Why wouldn't I be?"

"You looked like you were about to puke." Leona says, crossing her arms over her chest.

"I should probably get home."

"Sure."

As soon as I get up and collect my books, there's a knock on the door.

"Ooh, he's here!" Prima says, jumping up from the sofa and jogging towards the front door. "Leona, make your guest disappear."

Fuck. Shit. I should have left as soon as I found out that Daniel was coming here. I should have left as soon as the football game ended. Hell, I should never have come over. Why didn't I listen to Leona?

The door opens.

Someone walks in.

His head lifts up.

And his eyes meet mine.

His smile falters and I stand awkwardly next to the dining table with Leona beside me.

"Yep, he's just leaving." Leona says, completely oblivious to the tension riding high in this very apartment. I haven't taken my eyes off of Daniel Glover since he walked in. I haven't seen him in months. I'm still angry about what happened. My hands turn into fists so I carefully place my textbooks back on the dining table. I don't care if he's planning on getting down and dirty with Prima- I'm not leaving this dick with Leona.

"Actually, I thought I'd stay here for a while."

Leona glares at me, folding her arms across her chest. "You came over uninvited and now you're refusing to leave?" She fusses, picking my textbooks up and shoving them towards my chest. "You're leaving. Now."

"But-"

Daniel is the next one to open his mouth. "Come on, let him stay for a while."

My head instantly snaps towards him and I see a mischievous smirk on his face. I don't like this. Not one bit.

"What? No. He wasn't even welcome in the first place."

"Please, Leona." I beg, clutching my textbooks. By the stern look on her face, I can tell I'm not wanted, so I sulk before walking towards the door. Daniel doesn't move, not even when Prima urges him to join her on the sofa. Just as I'm past him, his hand reaches out and lands on my shoulder.

"How've you been, man?" He asks, smugly. I glare at him, not answering the question.

"What? Are we on a no-speaking term?" A sadistic smile takes over his face. All the pent up anger inside me urges to be spilled and I have to hold myself back. Everything he did to me and yet, I'm the one who suffers the ends of it.

"Well, I've been great, in case you were wondering."

"I wasn't." I make a move to leave but Daniel's hand tightens on my shoulder, holding me in place. I see Leona from the corner of my eye, her body rigid and alert.

"By the way... your girlfriend is still as good a fuck as she was-" And that was the last straw.

I push Daniel back, slamming my fist across his face. Then: a blur of fists, screams and blood.