Chapter 43

"Your eyes.
Your eyes hold everything my soul thirsts for."
-Perry Poetry

I haven't seen Preece in a few days

I haven't seen Preece in a few days. Because I've done my exam, I've had no reason to see him or bump into him as the college year has finished for me. I've applied to Universities, and I'm still waiting to hear back from them. It keeps me on the edge of my seat, but gives me the chance to catch up on football and stop missing so many matches.

But, just as I sit down on the couch, there's a loud knock on my door. I groan, getting up and opening the door. Preece is standing on the other side, a low frown on his face. He's drenched in the rain from outside, and I feel myself shiver when I see the droplets of rain fall out of his hair and down his cheek.

"What's wrong?" I ask him, letting him walk into my flat. Preece looks around at all the boxes on the floor and spins to face me.

"You've been ignoring me." He says, and I sigh, crossing my arms over my chest and sitting back on the couch. Even though I can see and hear the football game on the T.V in front of me, it feels like background noise with Preece so close to me.

"I haven't been ignoring you, Preece." I say, and I hear him huff before he stands in front of the television. I'm not even bothered, because my mind is too numb from everything that's happened a few days ago.

God, this is the shittiest year of my life.

"You haven't answered any of my calls." He says. "I texted you, you saw it, and you didn't reply. God, can't you see that... that I want to see you and talk to you?" He asks, and I couldn't be more done with this conversation.

Everything has felt so shit these past few days. Nothing excites me and it's like doing the same thing day in, day out. "Preece, I don't care." I say, shaking my head. "I really don't have enough energy to have this conversation." I say, almost bored.

"What do you mean? Have you just... I don't know, forgotten these past few weeks?" He asks, running his hands through his hair in frustration. Water drips onto the floorboards, but I'm not bothered.

"I don't have time for this. Just leave." I told him.

"No, I'm not gonna leave! Not until you tell me what the fuck is wrong."

"Fine!" I yell, jumping up. "If you're not gonna leave, I will." I say, storming past him and out of the door. Preece yells after me, following me. I decide against the elevator and take the stairs two at a time.

"It's raining, Alana!" He yells from behind me. "Where are you planning on going? Everything is closed!" Instead of listening to his pleas, I rushed out of the front door to my apartment complex. Before I can get far, Preece's hand curls around my elbow and he pulls me back until I'm facing him.

"Get off of me." I say, when I feel both his hands on my shoulders. The comfort they bring me sends shivers through my body.

Preece scans my face, confusion lacing his expression. "Why are you crying?" He asks. And then, I notice and feel the tears streaming down my face.

"Just leave me alone, Preece." I rasp, prying myself away from him and taking a few steps back.

"Just tell me what's wrong, please." He pleads, his eyebrows scrunching in sadness and exasperation. "Please, Alana. Tell me what's going on. Stop being so afraid to open up to me." He says.

I shake my head, confused as to why Preece wants to understand me so much. "Why do you care so much?" I ask.

"Because..." He yells, before hesitating. Rain pours down his face and I can feel the wetness on my back.

"Because what?" I yell, throwing my hands in the air. The street lamps are the only light we have and it shines down on Preece's face, illuminating the pain he's feeling. "Because what, huh?"

"Because I love you, Leona!" He yells, his eyes wide and his mouth parted and I think my heart flies out of my chest and lands right into his hands.

Love. What even is love? Is it even real? Every person who I've ever loved has left me, somehow. And now, Preece. He's standing here and he's telling me loves me and I don't want it and I want to leave and I think I might just fall to the ground.

"No, you don't." I mumble. Shaking my head. Preece steps towards me, his hands out in front of him. I feel him touch my shoulders before he pulls me in for a hug. "We promised no feelings, Preece."

I cry into his chest as he strokes my hair, his chin on the top of my head. "I know, but I do, Leona." He says, and it feels weird to hear him say my name. My heart feels heavy and I'm circling my arms around his waist, squeezing him tighter to me. Rain falls onto both of us, but I don't care. "I love you, and I want to protect you and I don't want you to be upset, ever." He whispers. He's so close to me and his voice drowns out the splattering rain.

"Preece..."

"You don't have to say anything. Just... come inside and out of the rain, okay? It's cold and you might get ill." He says, and I nod my head, letting him lead me back into the living room. We took the elevator this time, and Preece's arms were around me the whole time. It was a stupid idea to run out into the pouring rain in shorts and a tank top, and now I'm freezing and on the verge of hypothermia.

Preece walks me back to my home and into my room, laying me on my bed. I cling to him, my arms around his neck. Preece falls on top of me, laughing into my neck. He flings the duvet over the both of us and wraps his arms around my waist. We hold onto each other, and I feel his soft breath on my cheek.

"Do you wanna tell me why you've been in a mood?" Preece asks, and I wrap my legs around his waist. "Because, I'm sick of not knowing what's going on in that cute head of yours." He says, and I chuckle, squeezing him a little tighter.

"I couldn't fix things with my mum." I say, sadly. Preece frowns, before lifting his hand from my waist and moving a strand of hair from my face. "And, when Prima moves out... I'll probably have to rent a new place in a less extravagant area of town." I say.

"Or... and this is just an idea, so you don't have to come to a conclusion right now, but why don't you move in with me? It doesn't have to be permanent, but until you're ready to get your own place." He says, and my heart completely fills to the brim with whatever air is surrounding us.

"What?" I asked, speechless. "You want me to move in with you?" I gasp, like I still can't believe the words leaving his mouth.

"Yeah." Preece nods, looking down at me. "Move in with me, Leona."

I close my eyes. "Say that again." I whisper.

"Move in with me." He repeats.

"No, my name. Say my name again." I say, and Preece chuckles, moving his mouth closer to my ear. I feel him lick my lobe, and I try to squirm away.

"Leona." He says. "Leona."

I chuckle, and Preece presses a kiss to my cheek before I tilt my head towards him and he plants a kiss on my lips. I squeeze my thighs around him and Preece sighs into my mouth with pleasure. I run my hands through his hair and I'm smiling and my heart is lifting and I'm feeling jittery and I think I love him too.