Chapter 40

[A/N: do not forget to answer the question at the bottom its important.]

"Get ready"
A voice called out.
She absently tossed to the other side, slowly to not add pressure on her bruises. A hand abruptly snatched the blanket off her, making her jolt from slumber.
"I said get ready"
She rubbed her eyes, looking at him as if he had asked her for her kidney.
He looked unbothered. Tying his tie with his usual poker face, looking ready to leave for work, as if yesterday hadn't happened, as if life moved on faster for him than anyone else.

Her hand still itched from the red marks of his tight rope, reminding her that time was working just fine for her.
"Where" she whispered that came out muffled by her wretched throat.
He looked at her through the mirror, raising his brow.
She immediately understood questions weren't in order. She hadn't particularly been very good to earn that right yet.

Covering herself with the blanket she made her way to the bathroom, stumbling as she did so, understanding that her balance today wasn't supposed to be trusted too.
.
.

She found herself in his office that exanted just on the other wing on the mansion. True to its importance it was as magnificent as one could imagine. Welcomed by the stellar window opposite to the entrance door, she was more mesmerized by the piling files everywhere. It wasn't particularly kept very organized as if the place was work under progress. His desk was filled with scattered papers, pen holder brimming with pencils and markers and other things that could have been kept better than they were. Entering the office as if he hadn't just entered a dusty crowded, out of order library he ploped in the chair behind the desk, ignoring her existence altogether. Turning to his desktop he immediately started going through the open files on his table, swamping himself in less than one minute.
She stood awkwardly, waiting for some kind of explanation for his weird behavior and the more she stood, the pain in her ankles worsened. And so she sat down on the corner sofa the moment she spotted it. Making herself comfortable in the seemingly messy room. For a moment, thought of cleaning it occured but it was abandoned as soon as caught. The fear of getting him mad again was enough to shut all her ideas off.

He hadn't slept all night.

His head pounded from inside, ticking like time bomb. Her disturbing revealations affected him more than he thought they would. Every moment he had spent with her, every night he savored, every fucking second he had merely thought of her felt like a heavy weight that he carried obliviously, assuming she carried just as much as he did. But as it turned out she didn't so much as care. Not that he had ever sought her attention, he had never expected his desires to emerge for her too. All his aspirations to have a family with her dissolved with her unwillingness to bear a child. Not that she had a speck of choice but somewhere it pricked his ego.

He had unconsciously or not had seen dreams for them while she seemed like she'd rather be anywhere else than with him. Now that he was deep in water all for her, she stood carelessly in the dessert, unaware still, innocent of her actions, unconscious of her harmless apathy that had drilled a hole in his heart.

After making sure she had slept last night he immediately called for the camera records. Going through the footage he hoped to spot the man entering their suite, but the longer he watched, anxious he became. His infuriation grew with time as he saw no one entering the room.

If no one entered the room whom did Tara talk to?

The question was enigma.
There was no doubting Tara. She hadn't lied, he had seen through her.

For as long as he hadn't attained either the mysterious man's head or a solution, for her safety, he decided to keep her closer. His office was undoubtedly the safest place she could be right now. Around him, no one would dare as much as raise their eyes at her. He could sense her stiffly sitting in the corner sofa, curiously looking over to the floor above, gazing at all the books she wasn't allowed to touch.

He felt surrounded from all the sides. His purpose for Paris visit was not expected to end any time soon. Apparently the French were given a false tip that frantinos were setting them up. Whoever seemed to be the villain, definitely had a death wish. Settling things down with unnecessarily alert French was harder than anticipated. The harder he tried the desperate he looked. All he wanted to do was pack his shit and leave back to Italy with his wife but France had other plans.

Auclairs were the king of organized crime in France. Their hands reached so far in politics and police, that hardly anyone dared to point a finger their way. Now that the international police had started getting involved, everyone was at the gunpoint, the largest mafias in the world started being careful for once. A stupid mistake was all it took to get shot in between eyes. Many mafias had scattered underground for the very emergence of these international crime control branches, that crawled like snakes and clasped like lions.
French were cautious with their deals, extra cautious now that they were aware of hidden figures thar kept eyes open all the time. And even under such sensitive circumstances they couldn't afford to delay their deal with frantinos. It was a matter of hundreds of millions. Frantinos were smuggling cocaine, in amounts so large, Paris might as well never care for it in coming decades. But that wasn't the core deal.

What costed more was the women, the precious virgins that Italy was ready smuggle to France. And as they said, there was nothing more expensive than life. Frantino's deal of the sex trafficking was too lucrative to deny. The transportation arrangements were made, what was remaining was the amount that Auclairs so hesitated to transfer.

Donavan clutched his head in his hands, unable to stop the pounding that was minutes away from making him unconscious. The office bar that was meters away called to him, inviting to drown in the painless pool of unconsciousness. But it was an easy getaway. He still had to work. He still had to figure out a way to make things work before finally heading back home. And even then...

His mind halted it's blabbering when it felt gentle fingers interwining in his hair, slowly massaging his head, adding  pressure just where he needed it. He hadn't realised when she noticed his headache. Without a thought she approached him, trying to soothe his turmoil in any of her capacity. When she saw his hands crushing his head even more, she tried to help, massaging it, noticing that he at least breathed well when she relaxed him.

Relaxing under her touch he let himself calm down, finding his composure. After minutes of her soothing massage she tried to withdraw her hands, satisfied at her work. Combing his hair with her fingers, setting them back as they were she untangled her hands. Much to her surprise he didn't resist, letting her go back to the couch in the dark corner.

And so she spent her day like this, in his office, watching the Italians as they visited and left his office. Listening to their conversations as she didn't understand it. From whatever little English they spoke she understood the deal between Frantinos and Auclairs. It seemed like both the parties were desperate to fulfill the deal and yet were afraid of the police that watched from hooded masks. The anti crime officers had no evidence against any of the dons and so they were going to watch this deal closely, trying to catch them red handed.

It was impossible to close if not taken impeccable care of. Plus whoever seemed to be the evil middle man, filling auclairs' ears against Frantinos, could do more harm in the future. This snitch was to be caught too before everything went downhill. Even from her third person view she understood this was a risky deal, something that could pull their whole lives off from hinges.
She tried not to care, not getting involved with half understood meetings and curses.
Tara felt exhausted from listening to their conversations. She had never seen mafia working behind the curtains but today as she did, she didn't want to know more.
.
.
.
A/N:
Nothing...just a picture of me with my story

ALSO ALSO ALSOtell me which days of the week are you free and which time of the day you usually open wattpad

ALSO ALSO ALSO
tell me which days of the week are you free and which time of the day you usually open wattpad...I'll update as per them.