Chapter 2

LISA

Jennie looked at me for a moment before she left. Her elegant walk, her long dark hair and the denim jacket that made her look so good disappeared behind the group of people.

Why did she help me?

Puzzled, I started to walk again and only then realized that my pants were torn and my knees were bleeding. I flew so hard. It wasn't the pain that made me cry. This behavior from the others. What's in it for you to put someone down? They make other people's lives miserable just to feel good enough. I hate this society.

I walked home and unlocked the door. My mother was in the kitchen and my stepfather was sitting on the sofa.

"Lisa, dear." My mother called, strutting over to me on her shoes. "We're going to a charity event right now. We'll be back tonight." She kissed my forehead and encouraged my stepfather to get up. They said goodbye and left me.

She didn't even notice that I was crying.

I went into our big living room and hooked up my phone to this huge stereo that was just sitting around like all the other expensive stuff. Loud music roared through the many rooms and I kept turning it up.

The house my stepfather owns was quite big. Much bigger than the previous one. To be honest, that's why my mother married him. He's got a lot of money and he's not exactly stupid either. So I had to move and have been here for a week now. But actually I would be with my friends right now or just in my old, cozy room. Everything is snobby and expensive here, I don't fit in here.

I went wildly dancing into the kitchen and called the pizza service and ordered a large pizza. After that day I just wanted to eat frustratedly and watch Gossip Girl.

Ten minutes later the doorbell rang and I turned the charge down. I walked to the door and was glad the pizza guy was there. I was starving.

I opened the door but it wasn't the pizza guy. Jennie was standing in front of me. I swallowed and looked at her in surprise. Jennie's expression was also shocked. She quickly took off the glasses she was wearing, as if she were embarrassed.

"Eh, can you turn the music down? I'm trying to study." She said.

"S-Sorry. I didn't know you lived next door." I stammered and blushed. My heart was beating faster than ever.

"Even if the music is good, it would be nice when you could turn it a bit down." Suddenly her tone sounded nicer.

"Yes, I'll do it."

Suddenly the pizza boy came and brought my pizza. I looked at Jennie greedily. Apparently she hadn't eaten anything either. I took the chance and jumped over my shadow. I asked Jennie if she wanted to eat with me. Maybe we'll be friends.

Exactly Li, like that's ever gonna happen.

She hesitated. "I must study. My mother will kill me if I keep getting bad grades." She sighed softly.

"I could help you. I'm good at school."

What the hell am I doing?!

Again she hesitated but agreed. I took the pizza and followed her to the house next door. It was totally weird and I was suddenly so excited. An unfamiliar situation bothers me.

"My parents aren't home." Jennie spoke as we walked down the long hallway and up the stairs at the end. I looked around and noticed the many children's photos. She was a sweet child and now she doesn't look bad either. Only I still look like a crushed embryo.

We went to her room. The walls were white and her bed was unmade. Things were on the floor, as well as alcohol bottles and empty cigarette packs. I didn't expect anything else either.

She explained to me what wasn't working for her and I helped her. Jennie listened to me carefully. It really mattered to me that she understood the material. Especially since she's my neighbor now and I'll hear it when she gets pissed off.

Time passed and we went through each subject. Jennie wasn't actually stupid, just lazy and never listened in class, that's what she told me. But we didn't talk about today's incident.

Suddenly someone yanked open the door and a woman stood in the doorway. Her blonde hair was up and she was wearing a black blazer. She looked nice and elegant. Not like my mother.

"Oh Jennie. You have company." Was the first thing she said before she walked in and I climbed up to shake her hand.

"Lisa." I said quietly, blushing as Jennie's mother eyed me.

"She is helping me with my studies." Jennie spoke. A smile formed on her mother's lips.

"That is great. Then don't let yourself be disturbed." She left and I sat down.

"I think I've got it all figured out now." Jennie smiled at me and stretched. The pizza was already eaten and the sun was slowly going down. Her room was lit in red tones and the clouds turned purple.

"Thanks."

"No problem." I said and smiled at her. Her brown eyes sparkled at me. Jennie was lovely. Unlike her friends.

She brought me down to the door. We said goodbye but I didn't want to leave. Suddenly she came closer to me and kissed my cheek.

Did that really just happen?