Chapter 23

JENNIE

The car stopped and my breath hitched. They got out without a word and they opened the back doors to lift me out. When one got me, he threw me on the ground in the middle of the dirt.

It was raining and the ground was also wet. I was covered in mud from head to toe, only tears washing the mud off my face.

This cannot be true.

"Call your friend." The man ordered me. "One wrong action and we'll blow your brains out."

With shaky hands, I dialed Jungkook's number. Inwardly I prayed that he would not pick up but he answered.

"Kook?"

"Jennie," Came from the disgusting man's cell phone.

"Tell him to come to the woods at the end of the main road." Whispered the fat man.

"Please, come to the forest by the road immediately." My voice was shaking as the rest of me, but I knew if I cry, they're going to hurt me.

"I'm coming, Jennie." He hung up and the phone was snatched from my hand.

"So Jennie is your name... not too young to sell?" The greasy, skinny guy lit a cigarette. For a brief moment the lighter illuminated his face. A beard adorned his upper lip, cliche as always.

"What if we take her to the storage hall?" The fat man asked.

"We'll wait for that boy to show up and then take them both there."

I didn't want to go there. I wanted to go home, preferably to Lisa. Feel the sun's rays and put my head on her lap but instead I laid in the mud and feared for my life.

"Jennie?" I heard Jungkook's voice. Go back. Get help.

But he came closer, lighting the way with his cell phone camera while the men stood behind the trees and overpowered him.

He struggled hastily and called for help while I cried miserably and tried with all my strength to get this rope off my hands but it didn't help.

They threw us both in the trunk and drove deeper into the forest.

I couldn't get a word out, just closed my eyes and imagined something beautiful while Jungkook screamed miserably for help.

The car stopped again and the trunk opened. The men pushed us out and into a small storage hall. The light went on and I looked down at myself, then at Jungkook. His knee bled through his pants, leaving a trail of mud and blood with every step.

Both of us were shaking all over, from fear and from the cold but the men didn't care.

"What are you doing with us now?" Jungkook asked in a raspy voice.

"We'll let you acidify here and we'll both leave." The tall man smiled and kicked him over. Jungkook groaned in pain as his face hit the ground.

"Soon you better think twice about stealing something from us, son of bitch." He hoisted and imprisoned us.

"You're such an idiot!" I screamed.

"I know, okay?" He whimpered.

"We'll never get out of here."

I looked around.

There were shelves around, with a few things and a pair of scissors.

I hopped over, turned around and took it in two hands to hand it over to Jungkook. He rubbed my rope with the sharp side.

"How did you get such a shitty idea to steal the fabric? How ill are you?" I shook my head as he continued to work on my rope.

"I'm so sorry, Jennie." He sniffled and started crying again.

After a while the rope loosened and I broke it. Finally my hands were free again and so I untied his rope and the one that was tied around my legs.

I ran my fingers through my hair and thought about how to hold his knee together. I didn't want us to die here. We won't either, because I'm getting out of here first.

I took a piece of cloth and rope and tied it around his knee to stop the bleeding. Then I looked around again.

The small hall had only one large metal door that was impossible to break open. There weren't even any windows.

But I tried with a run-up and full force, I threw myself against the door to find that my shoulder was half shattered.

I howled and slammed my bare fists against the wall.

"Jennie, it's no use." Jungkook, who had calmed down in the meantime, said.

"I don't want to die here in a shitty hall just because you screwed up again!" I shouted and went for him. I beat him lightly, not hard, I didn't have the strength for that anymore.

I sat down against the wall next to him. He put an arm around me and assured that everything would be okay. But I was beginning to doubt it.