Across the Line

"It's about time you all got here. I've been waiting for almost an hour." Azazel laughs.

"These kids all took their time, but I guess you didn't have as many things to grab." I shrug my shoulders. Akeno comes toward me and hugs me.

"Hey sis. How are you?"

"Good." We all board a train and I look around the car.

"It's funny how I was a criminal the first time I went to the Underworld. This must be what luxury looks like for high-class devils." Akeno and I sit next to each other and the train takes off to the Underworld. "I wonder how long this trip will end up taking."

"It shouldn't be too long," Rias informs us as she sits to my left. "You've been distant the last few days."

"I've had other things holding my attention, and it's taken more time than I expected. I've also been working on keeping myself in shape to ensure I don't end up in another fight like the one with Vali. I hate to say it, but in the time since I arrived, I've gotten soft. I didn't get as far as I have by sitting idly and waiting for things that called for my attention."

"You sound mad," Akeno points out.

"Because I am." A door opens and Sona enters with her Queen and Pawn. "I suppose this is a conversation for another time."

"I'm surprised to see you here," Sona says.

"You're not the only one." I see Azazel in the corner and he waves me over. "As much as I'd love to stay and chat it seems that I'm needed." I stand and walk over to him.

"Once the Sitris get off the train it'll be time. Do you think they're ready?"

"It doesn't matter what I think. If these kids want to get stronger they have to be ready for anything. Just remember, if things start to go south I'm stepping in."

"That's the other thing I wanted to talk about." He opens a door to the next train car and I enter with him. "Look, I know Akeno is important to you, but don't jump in just because she gets a scratch."

"I wasn't planning on it." Azazel places a hand on my shoulder.

"I'm serious. Think of this as a chance to see what she can do without you. Not only will this test her strength, but her leadership as well."

"Testing strength in a battle they won't win. Hell, I don't know if I could even take him on." Azazel steps away and looks out of the window.

"Have you made any progress on the Edo Tensei?"

"Slowly, but surely. In the next few months, I should have the chance to try it out, but there is always the chance it goes wrong." Azazel comes back my way.

"Such is the nature of a forbidden technique like that." The train stops and I see the Sitris exiting. "You stay here, I'll go talk to Rias."

"Got it." I lean against the window and cross my arms, my sight fixing on the view of the Gremory domain. If anything sticks out about the view below me, it's the feeling that there isn't anything wrong happening. The Underworld seems as if it's more at peace than the Human Realm. The train jolts to a stop again, and I use Kamui to transport myself to the edge of a cliff overlooking a canyon. Shortly after I arrive Rias, Kuroka, and Azazel appear behind me, and I step back to join them.

"I bet they're trying to gather themselves right about now," Azazel theorizes.

"Our friend will be there soon." I cross my arms and see a large purple dragon flying toward Rias's peerage.

" I cross my arms and see a large purple dragon flying toward Rias's peerage