Empty

3rd Person POV

"I was hoping Y/N would join us," Zeoticus says as he notices the empty seat at the table. Around the table sits Rias's peerage with Zeoticus, Sirzechs, and Venelana all near the head. All but one seat are occupied, a seat placed between Akeno and Kiba that was to be Y/N's. "Honey, did he say he wasn't feeling well?"

"He didn't seem interested in talking," Venelana answers. "Admittedly I'd rather he wasn't here, no offense Akeno." Akeno sets her fork back on the table and stands. "Akeno, wait."

"No thank you." Akeno leaves the room and walks in the direction of her brother's room.

"She used to be such a well-behaved girl, I can only imagine he's been a bad influence since he arrived."

"Was that necessary?" Rias asks her mom. "You may not like him, but you didn't need to say it in front of her."

"I'm surprised you're not as upset as she is, what with the relationship you've established with him."

"We're not talking about this right now." Rias looks around the table as everyone continues their meal, though the atmosphere has turned awkward between everyone. Noticing the tension Zeoticus turns to Issei.

"So, Red Dragon Emperor, has your family enjoyed the renovations we've made to your home?"

"We didn't get to be around it for long before coming here, but my parents seem to love it."

As the conversation continues Akeno reaches Y/N's room. She hesitates to bother him, but reluctantly she taps her hand against the door.

"Come in." She enters to see Y/N seated at the edge of the bed and staring at the floor. "I thought it was still dinnertime."

"I finished eating early," Akeno lies, though fruitlessly.

"What did she say?" Akeno sits next to her brother and embraces him.

"She doesn't want you here."

"I knew that. I should have stayed home, it would have been better than trying to appeal to people that already hold a negative opinion of me." Y/N lifts his head. "I was a fool to think that a relationship with Rias would work."

"It still can."

"Not this time. I'll be dead by the end of our trip if they have their way." Akeno recoils at Y/N's claim.

"You think they would do that?"

"They can try, but I won't let them." Y/N takes his sister's hand. "Akeno, can you take me home? If I ask anyone else they'll tell me no."

"I don't want to be here without you."

"It won't be for long. You lasted here for years without me, a couple of months won't hurt you." Akeno looks away.

"Things are different now. I never told them about you, you know. They found out someone from our clan was the one who wiped them out, and they almost immediately connected me to you. They realized you were the one who killed my parents, and the threat that you posed was what made them hunt you down."

"They have me right where they want me. Akeno, if you care about my wellbeing at all you'll take me home." Akeno hesitates.

"I want to come with you. If they find out I took you home then they'll try to find out why I did it. I'm safer with you than here."

"I hate that you're right." Y/N stands up. "Gather your things and we'll leave late tonight. Thankfully there is one faction that doesn't want my head on a pike, and hopefully, I can reach out to them." Akeno walks away from Y/N. "I'm going to get some sleep, if anyone asks tell them that."