Chapter 2.

The Summer I Turned Pretty

Even though it felt as if we were driving for seven thousand years, I still loved knowing what awaited for me.

Steven, unfortunately, drove slower than our Granna — which says a lot.

Y/n smiled as she listened to her twins atrocious singing — but, she loved that Belly was always happy on these trips so she didn't complain about it — unlike her brother.

"YOU CAN DO BETTER!" Belly belted, singing till her hearts content as she turned around in her seat to sing to her sister. Y/n gave Belly an amused expression as she found her sisters antics cute but she winced as she looked to where her mom sat next to her, the woman was sleeping soundly — but even in her slumber she looked alerted.

"Can you guys turn it down a little? Please." Laurel, their mother, asked — having been awoken from the loudness that emitted from one of her youngest.

"Yes, Please." Steven said in exasperation as Belly then lowered the music down. "Before I run this car into the ocean." He then made a pretend swerve to the right which made the twins both roll their eyes at their older brothers dramatics.  

"It's okay, Bell. Steve just doesn't know how to have any fun apart from trying and failing to get a girlfriend." Y/n teased, tilting her head at her brother as she shined her smug smile at him.

"Shut up, you never even had a boyfriend, Lemon." Steven quickly retorted, rolling his eyes. "Your braces definitely scared them all away."

"Steven!" Laurel exclaimed, slapping him in the side of his head.

"What! I'm just pointing out the obvious!"

"Don't talk about her like that, you dick!" Belly shouted, glaring at her brother for talking to her twin like that.

I always hated when Steven would point out the things I was always embarrassed or insecure about — he never exactly did it to hurt me, just to tease but it never made that little ache numb.

After a beat of silence and sympathetic looks at Y/n which the girl chose to ignore - Laurel thought to break the silence.

"Hey, I want you guys to be better at helping out this summer." Laurel stated, "Like, don't just leave your dishes in the sink, load them into the dishwasher — and not just your own dishes either, Steven, Y/n." Laurel told her two kids, glancing between the two.

Steven glanced at his mom in the rear-view mirror, "Mom — but —"

Y/n turned towards her mother, "Ma—"

"I want you to be good house guests." Laurel firmly stated, cutting both Y/n and Steven off.

"Mom, Susannah has house people who clean, doesn't she?" Steven asked, glancing at his mom in the rear-view mirror.

"Do you hear yourself, Steven?" Y/n rhetorically questioned, "You sound like a spoiled brat. " Y/n sneered as her mother smacked her brothers head upon his stupid comment.

"Ow!" Steven yelped, his unoccupied hand moving to soothe the ache as Belly grinned smugly.

"Alright, sorry." Steven quickly apologized, shaking his head. "Why do I always gotta be outnumbered here, man." Steven whined.