Chapter 22.

The Summer I Turned Pretty

Y/n watched as people piled into the awaiting bus — Taylor being one of the people piling into it.

"You two aren't going to say goodbye?" Laurel questioned, glancing between her daughters. "I don't feel like it." Y/n quickly replied, shaking her head slightly.

"I don't feel like it, either." Belly inputted, sighing. Laurel gave her daughters a look, "She's your best friend and she came out here for you two's birthday — because she loves you."

Y/n stared down at her converse covered feet, a pondering look on her face.

"Fine." Y/n reluctantly said, unbuckling herself. "You coming or what?" Y/n asked, looking at the backseat at her sister.

Belly hesitantly nodded, not thinking her sister would ask her. "Let's go, then."

Belly and Y/n made it just in time before Taylor had boarded the bus.

"Hey." Y/n called out, causing Taylor to quickly turn around. "Hey." Taylor greeted back, an uncertain look on her face as Y/n approached her — Belly closely behind.

"Uh. Have a safe trip." Y/n awkwardly told Taylor, glancing at Belly. "Thanks." Taylor said, nodding. Y/n nodded, "Okay."

"Hey, about last night." Taylor began, "You guys will be happy to know it'll never happen again. Steven said that it was a mistake and we never should've gone there, so — you know, it's whatever."

The three girls looked at one another in deafening silence.

"Y/n—" Taylor started.

"Look, Taylor. I'm not mad — I mean, I'm mad about one part but that's it. I'm just weirded out as I'm sure Belly is as well." Y/n quickly interjected, looking towards Belly who nodded in response.

"We just need a minute to take it all in." Belly told Taylor, giving the girl a brief smile. "Okay." Taylor nodded in understanding, "I better get going."

Y/n nodded, "Bye."

"Bye, Taylor." Belly said.

The twins then made their way back to their car. Silence enveloping the car.

Y/n pulled at her seatbelt but it had became stuck — making the girl groan in annoyance as she let go of the seatbelt and pulled it once again.

Laurel sighed heavily through her nose, "You know, boys might come and go but a best friend is once in a lifetime. We have to hold right to our friendships because we never know what the future will hold."

Y/n stared at her mom with a far-away look before looking back at Belly — who was already looking at her.

Y/n sighed as she turned her head to face forward, leaning it onto the headrest.

After Y/n had finally made it back home — she began to search for her brother she hadn't seen or talked to since last night.

Opening the back door, Y/n looked around — hoping to see Steven and to her luck — he was thankfully there, chilling on the beach chair.